Reload this Page >

RAM? DDR (PC2700) vs. PC133

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-23-02, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bother all you guys with my stupid questions, but hey, that's what we're here for eh?

Right now I've got 1 gig of PC133 and according to my RAMmeter, I've only got 518 megs free. So I'm using almost 1/2 my RAM - which is odd - I haven't seen it this low for a while, but enough about that.

I just ordered a nice new Soyo SY-KT333 Dragon motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 1900+ and 512 MB of Samsung PC2700 333MHz DDR SDRAM.

Optimally, since it's DDR (double data rate), it should function at twice the rate of regular old PC133 right? Or to be more exact, my question is, will the 512 megs be enough for me? I would hope so, but I'm just curious. The nice thing is I'll have 2 open RAM slots so I'll be able to easily go up to 1.5 gigs in the future.

Thanks much for the answers. I can't wait for my new hardware to get to me!
Old 04-23-02, 01:21 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Biggest question is, what operating System are you using? If you're stuck with win98 or ME, then you're OS may be eating all your RAM, but if you're using Linux or win2k or winXP then there's a program that has to be eating up all of your memory. Best bet is to go into the Task manager and see what it is that is using up all of your memory. I have 512 MB of PC2100 in my computer and it runs fine. The only time I ever get near to using all of my memory is when I play games, but even then I'm ok. Just because the RAM is faster does not mean that a program won't utilize the same amount of RAM to run, it just means that the program will run faster.
Old 04-23-02, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by wiz
Biggest question is, what operating System are you using? If you're stuck with win98 or ME, then you're OS may be eating all your RAM, but if you're using Linux or win2k or winXP then there's a program that has to be eating up all of your memory. Best bet is to go into the Task manager and see what it is that is using up all of your memory. I have 512 MB of PC2100 in my computer and it runs fine. The only time I ever get near to using all of my memory is when I play games, but even then I'm ok. Just because the RAM is faster does not mean that a program won't utilize the same amount of RAM to run, it just means that the program will run faster.
Using 2k now, will be upgrading to XP when the new computer arrives with a nice RAID (mirroring) hard drive set up (finally...been waiting a while for this).

Edit - just checked my task manager and AcroRd32 is using 21,976 k of memory. And it's not even open. What the hell? I knew I shouldn't have upgraded from Acrobat 4 to 5...
Old 04-23-02, 02:02 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Blake
Using 2k now, will be upgrading to XP when the new computer arrives with a nice RAID (mirroring) hard drive set up (finally...been waiting a while for this).

Edit - just checked my task manager and AcroRd32 is using 21,976 k of memory. And it's not even open. What the hell? I knew I shouldn't have upgraded from Acrobat 4 to 5...
Yeah, it has to be a program that's hogging it all up, but 21 MB of memory shoudl not be that much, although if it's not running then it might be, heh. You might also want to check to see how many programs are running in your task bar (next to your clock on the start bar). If you have a lot of icons then you have a lot of programs running in the background. What do you use your computer for anyhow?
Old 04-23-02, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Blake, when I installed acrobat 5 it also determined it was important to startup when windows started, I disagreed with its conclusion however. A quick trip thru msconfig will help you get rid of that.
EDIT: D'oh, I skipped the part where you said you use win2k, which doesn't come with msconfig. Oh well, try it when you get XP.

Dave
Old 04-23-02, 12:09 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Dave99
EDIT: D'oh, I skipped the part where you said you use win2k, which doesn't come with msconfig. Oh well, try it when you get XP.
Either get msconfig for XP, it works for 2K (I'm using it), but I forget where to get it (there was a thread here about that maybe 5 months ago or so, or...

Look for it in Start->Programs->Startup for it and delete it or run regedt32, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Microsoft->Windows->Current Version->Run, find it and delete it.
Old 04-23-02, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Blake

If you open a pdf file from a browser, acrord32.exe will stay running.
Old 04-24-02, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by zuffy

If you open a pdf file from a browser, acrord32.exe will stay running.
Yeah, figured that out the hard way. But the real test will be to see if I can kill the application and then have it work the next time I need it. I completely crashed a browser window when I tried to get to a .pdf file because Acrobat failed to load. So where can I find Reader v.4?