Reload this Page >

Wal-mart has the Academic version of MS Office XP Standard

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-22-02, 04:50 PM
Retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This costs $129.96 and includes Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, an Office Training CD and a manual. It's simply the in a clear plastic case with the manual facing outwards.

It's supposed to only be for students and teachers, but they never asked to see my student ID so I image they'd sell them to anyone. Like their dumbass cashiers even know what academic software is. I'm not sure if every Wal-mart has this. It's the first time I've seen it. I live in a University town so that probably makes this Wal-mart more likely than one in the middle of no where to carry it.
Old 04-22-02, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well, if you buy it, and you're not a student, then it might violate the eula. that said, the price isn't bad for what you're getting. i bought mine from my college bookstore for $150 last year.
Old 04-22-02, 10:05 PM
Retired

To clarify, I am a college student. The cashier just didn't ask for any student ID or anything.
Old 04-23-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Be careful if you purchase this, I don't believe you can apply any of the Microsoft patches like you would the full version.
Old 04-24-02, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by johnglass
Be careful if you purchase this, I don't believe you can apply any of the Microsoft patches like you would the full version.
This is a hot deal for people who need a Full version copy and don't want to pay upwards of $500.
So I had my user buy it and register it in her daughters name becuase she is in grade shcool. After all his daughter was going to use it for school work too. The only stipulations are the main person using it must be enrolled in K-12 or college with half time work load. They didn't even ask for ID when I bought it and Microsoft doesn't ask for proof of enrollment in school either.

Back to the original post, I think you add the updates, however you will not be able to use the acedemic version for an upgrade. So when Office 2004 XP comes out you can't buy the upgrade version...