Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you purge your old, past, done visited, defunct internet history?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-22-02, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife's worried that one day our children will accidentally come across a raunchy website that I have clicked on while hanging out in the Other forum.

I clear the history in my IE browser and also the internet cache. Should that cover it or will there still be info somewhere else?

Of course the best solution would be to avoid clicking on those links in the first place. Gotta work on that angle too.
Old 04-22-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Clearing your History should do it.

If you want to be sure and check what is still there...

In IE, click View, Explorer, History. This should display your History on the left and you can individually see what's there and delete as required.
Old 04-22-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Phil L.
Clearing your History should do it.

If you want to be sure and check what is still there...

In IE, click View, Explorer, History. This should display your History on the left and you can individually see what's there and delete as required.
Yes I do that, but they are still stored in the hidden "internet cache" area. I deleted that and that may be all there is. Anyone know?

Do a search on internet cache and see what you find.
Old 04-22-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also delete all the cookies from the c:\windows\cookies directory and all the temporary internet files in the c:\windows\Temporary Internet Files\ directory if there are any after rebooting your computer.

what else did I miss? I know clearing history isn't enough
Old 04-22-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In Control Panel, in Internet Options, there should be a Delete Files button in the Temporary Internet Files section. Click that to clear your browser's cache.
Old 04-22-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/forumdi...?s=&forumid=10
Old 04-22-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well technically its there until the sector has been overridden or the hard drive has been formatted (probably still there after that)
Old 04-22-02, 12:59 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: How do you purge your old, past, done visited, defunct internet history?

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
My wife's worried that one day our children will accidentally come across a raunchy website that I have clicked on while hanging out in the Other forum.
Am I misunderstanding? I thought you brought the raunchy website links to the Other forum.

You should use an OS that provides separate profiles for each user such as Win2K or WinXP. Each user will have their own favorites, history, etc.
Old 04-22-02, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not quite what you want but a utility called cleanmgr or clean manager will delete most of that stuff for you. It will delete old cookies, temp files etc if they haven' been used lately. So it won't help with sites you visit often.
Old 04-22-02, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Buford,

I can send you a copy of a utility called Evidence Eliminator that will do the trick.

In the meantime, go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Internet Options. Under the General tab in Internet Options, click Delete Files in the Temporary Internet Files box. Choose "Delete All Offline Content" when given the option.

After you do that, clear your history folder.

If you have Norton Systemworks, you can use the Fast and Safe Cleanup utility in Norton Clean Sweep.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 04-22-02 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-23-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: How do you purge your old, past, done visited, defunct internet history?

Originally posted by X
Am I misunderstanding? I thought you brought the raunchy website links to the Other forum.

ME? Hardly. I think history would show that I haven't provided that many raunchy links. There are several others that post lots of pr0n all the time. I would say that those who appreciate such would not name me as a favorite source.