Reload this Page >

Switching From PC to MAC --- ADVICE??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Switching From PC to MAC --- ADVICE??

Old 04-25-02, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by fmian
Dont forget about that horrible round mouse. And they kept that for a few generations of iMacs as well. Morons.

Personally I think the only good thing apple have made are those lovely widescreen monitors, the harmon kardon speakers and the iPod. Everything else blows. I should know. I used to be a network admin for a mac network.
I'll be getting a third party 3-button mouse anyway. Even 2 button mice aren't good enough for me.

I'm guessing that a G4 Powerbook has to have a power off button since it is a laptop, there isn't necessarily something to plug in or not, but I'll look into that. One other device I hate having to unplug/plug in to turn off is my Brother MFC Printer. Not sure why they don't have a simple power down switch either.

To me though powering off/on is just a minor inconvenience, especially since from what I hear with OS X, I'll need to power down/restart a lot less times than I do reaching down under my table to power down my Dell now when Win 98 hiccups daily.
Old 04-25-02, 02:42 PM

. Yes, I wouldn't move to an earlier Mac,
hate to say it but you will probably end up dual booting OSX and 9.1 to get some software to run...

--mike
Old 04-25-02, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by leemik

hate to say it but you will probably end up dual booting OSX and 9.1 to get some software to run...

--mike
Since I'll have a network of machines at home, if there's a package that I need that's not on OS X yet, I'll run it on one of my PC's (I have a monitor/keyboard switchbox). For the most part I'll be doing things like web surfing, email browsing, using Quicken, Photoshop, listening to Musicmatch, etc. I can get native OS X versions of all of those functions. Over time as native OS X versions become available of these packages that aren't there I'll buy them and use them on my Mac instead. There's no reason for me to go out and buy a version that isn't carbonized for the Mac. The dual boot is probably mostly useful for those who've been Mac users all of the time and are migrating to OS X, not people like me who have little or no investment in pre-OS X software. I might even remove that boot portion, though it might be useful to keep to test things with, etc.
Old 04-29-02, 03:27 PM

If you're looking for a G4 laptop like I am, you might want to check pricing on where you are getting it as they just announced 800Mhz top end versions for $3199 today (with higher resolution monitors and graphics cards). The 667Mhz model dropped in price from $2999 to $2499.

Check http://www.apple.com/powerbook/ for more details.