Reload this Page >

My cablemodem is suckekekeke!!!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-21-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Friday, I couldn't get on line... I IM'ed WhoGirl with my AOL Mobile Communicator to see if she has no problem getting in DVDTalk.com. It turned out it was my cablemodem that went down.

I called my ISP and whined at them and they couldn't figure out what went wrong. They finally got it worked, but it lasted 10 seconds.

I waited till next morning to see if it come back alive... no, it didn't! I called them again and they tried everything in their power to get it work, nothing worked. As right now, it seems like it worked then off, and then work. Ugh, I hate it. They're sending somebody over here tomorrow to take a look at it. I will pest at that guy to make sure it work permanent without any problem!

Ever since that [email protected] went bankrupted and my cablemodem has never been same. I never had any problem with @Home and now with Adelphia, I always get those kind of problems. And they charges me $52 a month ($10 more than @Home), it made me want to go DSL.

I talked with WhoGirl about DSL, she told me that she has no problem with it at all... So, I'm seriously considering getting one... Since I have two ISP (Adelphia and AOL, AOL is a must because of Mobile Communicator reason), I might as well as drop Adelphia then pick up DSL and hook it up to AOL. AOL do provide LAN/DSL service.

I will have to look on DSL thingy more closely... If they do provide the same speed as cablemodem does, I might will pick it up sometimes soon...
Old 04-21-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i think there's a forum for this, no?

i'm not sure where you live, but most places cable will give you much better speeds than dsl.
Old 04-21-02, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by broadwayblue
i think there's a forum for this, no?

i'm not sure where you live, but most places cable will give you much better speeds than dsl.
Do you think they'll let me get different cable company while I live on Adelphia's properity?
Old 04-21-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by McHawkson

Do you think they'll let me get different cable company while I live on Adelphia's properity?
i'm not sure...but i think most of the monopolies companies have had over cable and dsl customers have been broken up. for example, in manhattan Time Warner offers Road Runner. But i can also choose between Earthlink (what i went with because i had mindspring dial up for 5 years) or AOL (never in 100 million years would i subscribe.) Basically i think the other companies (Earthlink and AOL) have to pay a usage fee to Time Warner for using their lines. The funny thing is my monthly cable cost through Earthlink is $8 less than if i had gone with Road Runner.
Old 04-21-02, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, bummer it moved...

It seems like that I will have to do some research and see if I'm allowed to use different cable company.
Old 04-21-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think it all depends...the DSL that i have at home sucks. Ask people around your area to see what they recommend
Old 04-21-02, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

is it a problem with your modem or the service?

is the service going in and out or is your modem turning on and off?

what modem do you have?

My cable service is pretty good so far with little to no problems.
Old 04-21-02, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had a similiar problem with Comcast when they first took over @home.. my modem worked fine for a few weeks but once a week it would go down all night until the next day, etc... I'd call, they'd say, "oh we're upgrading servers, it'll be like this for a few weeks"... so I finally call for the 5th time and they agree it's the modem and they'll replace it. I had an old Motorola CyberSurfer modem which they said they've had problems with in other areas because it's Non-Docsis compliant.

Each time I'd call they'd ask for a MAC address and I'd have to explain that my modem didn't have one, etc...

Well They finally replaced my modem and have had no problems since!

Good luck!
Old 04-22-02, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it turned out it was network card!

The guy came and looked everywhere and couldn't find what went wrong. So, he bought his laptop and hook up with the modem, it worked perfect. And he suspected it was network card, he's right.

But I gonna to whine about the cost... 52 dollars a month is pretty high...
Old 04-23-02, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by McHawkson
Well, it turned out it was network card!

The guy came and looked everywhere and couldn't find what went wrong. So, he bought his laptop and hook up with the modem, it worked perfect. And he suspected it was network card, he's right.

But I gonna to whine about the cost... 52 dollars a month is pretty high...
yep had you figured it out you could have just bought one for under $20 bucks easy and out it in yourself.

I would figure the cost of them coming out to troubleshoot the computer plus a nic card installed for $52 is not too bad really.