Reload this Page >

Gateway EV910 19" monitor won't show red color

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-20-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried chatting with tech support, but I just got "escalated to level 2". I bought the same monitor for my computer back in August '99. One day it would just not turn on, no power light, nothing. I called them up, they sent me a new one (or what I thought was new), and sent the old one back.

A couple of months (maybe less) after I plugged the new monitor in, it would not show red, but rather a grey color (like it was not able to produce the red color). It could make the other colors, just not red. I chatted with tech support tonight and was told it sounded like the monitor was "out of frequency". I asked how could this be when the old monitor worked fine at that frequency, as did this one, until it went wrong. It would show red fine every now and then, but most of the time, it would not. Then I was told it might be a hardware or software issue...I had not installed anything new on it though. Now I'm going up to level 2 tech support for them to try to "fix" it.

Any ideas from you guys? I'm thinking something is wrong with one of the CRTs in it (probably the red one ), but I could be wrong. If that's the case, nothing I could do would prevent the sometimes red, most times grey, color. I've altered the monitor settings so red was maxed out, but that still did nothing. I tried adjusting my display settings on the control panel but that did nothing as well. So, does it sound like they have no idea, but don't really want to send me a new one?

Last edited by Lampei; 04-20-02 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-20-02, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What freq. are you running anyway? Sounds like a bad monitor to me. When does the monitor losing its red... when the monitor is cold, hot, intermittent? Do you have another computer or video card to try to replicate the problem?
Old 04-20-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My monitor's actually at my parent's place (I figured it was crap and was getting ready to toss it until I found out that I've still got three months warranty left on it), so I can't check, but I'm guessing it was at 60 Hz. The monitor would usually show red after it had been off for a while, then once warmed up would lose the red color, but would sometimes show a flickering red once it had been on for a while. I tried it on 3 different computers, my gateway, an old computer I bought from my work, and my brand new (at the time) dell laptop, all showed no red color. Knowing my luck, it'll be red tomorrow and they'll think I'm crazy. An older monitor I had used to do a similar thing, right up until it went completely white. I would think it was something I was doing, but I make sure the monitor's not on for long periods of time. The first monitor I had lasted about 7 years, so their crappy one should last longer than a year and half and 90 days. I guess I don't have too much luck with monitors
Old 04-21-02, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Very simple. Call tech support and tell them you don't have red on the monitor. Forget about tell them you get red once in awhile. Mention that you tried on 3 different computers and are getting the same result so it's not a video card or driver issue. Also, tell them that the refresh is set to 60hz to minimize any out of freq range.

If they are claiming magnetic field is the cause of the problem. Tell them you got a compass next to the monitor and the needle is pointing North. That should shut them up.
Old 04-21-02, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awesome! Thanks, I'll try that when they call tomorrow