Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Different Manufacturers of Radeon 7500?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-20-02, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get a Radeon 7500 for HTPC (priority) and gaming (secondary). Should I get a genuine ATI Radeon 7500, or are third party Radeon 7500 okay? If third party is okay, then which brands are best or what should I look for (some have more memory and some don't have DDR RAM)?

Also, I've spent about an hour on Pricewatch trying to find an ATI built Radeon 7500, but all I seem to find (from linking to the seller's site) is third party Radeons. Is there a way to limit searches to only one brand of Radeons?

I hope to order before the end of the weekend, so thanks for your help.

My specs, in case needed:
1 Gig T'bird
384 MB SDRAM
SBLive! Value
PCTV Pro
Pioneer 106S DVD-ROM
80 Gig WD 7200 RPM HDD
30 Gig Maxtor 7200 RPM HDD
WIN 98

Thanks!
Old 04-20-02, 11:41 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, you should know the answer to that from AVS!

I'm afraid you really should go genuine, either retail or oem. But actually manufactured by ATI. I'm not sure if the RAM speed is lower in the oem version, which wouldn't matter for HTPC but would for gaming. The RAM speed is lower in third-party cards I believe, but possibly not all of them. Maybe that accounts for some of the hugh price differential?

The problem seems to be that the drivers that ATI provides only work on their cards. And those seem to be necessary for the best HTPC output. But people have reported ways to get ATI drivers to install on third-party cards, so it may be possible to get around this. And it seems that ATI is helping provide the third-party drivers now too. Isn't it always some problem with ATI and drivers?

I'm looking at getting a 7500 myself. I need the dual VGA out and their software for managing it. For your purposes you might consider a dual card configuration with a good Nvidia AGP card for gaming and a PCI 7000 or 7200 for HTPC purposes.
Old 04-20-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought a Radeon LE (non-ATI) for use in a home theater PC. It's worked fine (except for the ATI DVD player), and I was even able to flash it with an update that brought it up to Radeon 32DDR specs.

However, if you have your heart set on a genuine ATI card, here is a Radeon 7500 that appears to be an ATI version.

RD
Old 04-20-02, 03:34 PM

Actually, that is the Apollo Devil Monster Radeon 7500. This is why I'm so frustrated right now, because all that I can find is third-party. I've read posts, elsewhere, where someone recommends picking up a Radeon 7500 for $80, but I guess they are referring to third-party OEM. The only time I know for sure that I'm looking at a genuine ATI Radeon 7500 is when I'm at Best Buy, but, of course, the retail box is $150 there. Maybe I should just fork over the extra cash and be done with it.
Old 04-20-02, 03:37 PM
X
Administrator

Well, I just bit the bullet and bought a 7500 (VGA/DVI/S-Video) on ebay to replace my modified GeForce2. About $30 cheaper than I could get it anywhere else and it's a sealed retail package. Pretty much the last piece to complete the monitor/RPTV HTPC. Now I can moderate as I watch movies!
Old 04-20-02, 03:41 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by RalphWiggum
Actually, that is the Apollo Devil Monster Radeon 7500. This is why I'm so frustrated right now, because all that I can find is third-party. I've read posts, elsewhere, where someone recommends picking up a Radeon 7500 for $80, but I guess they are referring to third-party OEM. The only time I know for sure that I'm looking at a genuine ATI Radeon 7500 is when I'm at Best Buy, but, of course, the retail box is $150 there. Maybe I should just fork over the extra cash and be done with it.
You should easily be able to get the ATI non-DVI version for under $80. I just paid $95 (shipped) for the VGA/DVI/S-Video retail one. Its ATI part number is 100-432001.

I've been there, looking for an oem deal and not finding the genuine article. I think you have to rely on the part number, maybe the picture of the box, and call the merchant when you're not sure. Look out for "Powered by ATI".