Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

windows xp

Old 04-19-02, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
windows xp

i've been trying to install xp on my system and everytime i go to reboot and it starts back up i get a blue stop screen and the error for inaccesible boot disk can anyone tell me how to fix it????????
Old 04-20-02, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

hmmm

you might want to try to clean out the HD, or reformat it.
Old 04-20-02, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Inaccessible boot device - sounds like the IDE or SCSI controller you are using is not installed in XP.

I think you are supposed to install the driver for the controller during the initial part of the installation. Once it gets to the GUI stage, I think it is too late.

RD
Old 04-20-02, 10:58 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by DivxGuy
I think you are supposed to install the driver for the controller during the initial part of the installation. Once it gets to the GUI stage, I think it is too late.
I think you're right. If it doesn't detect the controller during the pre-setup process you have to interrupt it and feed a driver in yourself.

What kind of hard drive (SCSI or IDE) are you using, do you have a separate controller for it, and what is your motherboard?
Old 04-20-02, 12:07 PM

here is my system board info.
System
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\enum\ROOT\*PNP0C01\0000
Alloc resources: None
Forced resources: None
Boot resources: None
Filtered resources: None
Basic resources: None
INF Name: MACHINE.INF
BIOSDate: 11/20/01
BIOSName: Award
BIOSVersion: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
CPU: Pentium Pro
MachineType: IBM PC/AT
Driver: System\0019
Driver Date: 5-11-1998

and the driver for my hard drive is an Intel 82801 BA Ultra ATA Controller and it is a Western Digital
Old 04-20-02, 12:40 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you really have a Pentium Pro? What brand of motherboard or computer is this? Have you run the XP compatibility program that tells you if your system will work with it?

I haven't installed XP so I don't know the details. But your drive/controller looks pretty standard to me. Maybe check for a BIOS update for your motherboard, but if it's really a PPro there probably won't be a newer one.
Old 04-20-02, 03:14 PM

You must have received a driver disk for your motherboard, and the key to your dilemma is on it, IMO. At some point in the XP install, you need to point the installer at those drivers, so it can install the fixed disk controller drivers.

Been there, done that.

RD
Old 04-20-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kind of interesting cuz he's able to complete the first step of the XP install. If XP did not detect his IDE controller, he would not be able to start the installation process since there's no storage to hold the temp directory created by XP.

whitewolf95,

is the WD hard drive connected to the motherboard IDE controller or a separate IDE controller? If it's a separate controller, then you will need to get the XP driver for that.
Old 04-20-02, 08:06 PM

it is connected to the IDE on the motherboard and it is a pentium pro because i just upgraded to it about a week ago and it does have all the latest drivers cause i've checked all the drivers online to make sure so i'm really at a lose here on what to do. cause like zuffy said i can make it all the way up to the first reboot of the sysytem and that is where my problem is. my motherboard is a NB70-SC. an i've ran the compatibility software and my computer is more than compatible.

Last edited by whitewolf95; 04-20-02 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-20-02, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try to install XP with minimum hardware... just the video card, NO sound card, modem, nic, etc.. Also, if you have the Plug-N-Play OS option in the BIOS, try to change that setting.
Old 04-20-02, 11:56 PM

the only thing i can do is pull out the modem and my video card but the rest is built into my board
Old 04-21-02, 01:05 PM

FYI the NB70-SC is a Pentium 4 board, not a Pentium Pro (which haven't been made in several years).

RD
Old 04-21-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If that's a Pentium 4 mbd, why don't you check with the mbd's website for xp drivers or the manufacture of the pc's website? They should have info about install XP.
Old 04-21-02, 06:50 PM

Re: hmmm

Originally posted by Mole177
you might want to try to clean out the HD, or reformat it.
Since I'm not really an advance computer user. Can someone be so kind as to tell me how to go about doing this? Hopefully it's not too much of a pain.
Old 04-23-02, 09:24 PM

That's windows for you!
Old 04-24-02, 03:07 AM

Can someone be so kind as to tell me how to go about doing this? Hopefully it's not too much of a pain.
I'm not familiar with XP's install program, but Win2K gives you the opportunity to reformat partitions during the text-mode part of the install. Keep in mind that anything on the disc will be lost, though.

RD