Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help with first internal CD Burner purchase for archiving digi prints and backups

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help with first internal CD Burner purchase for archiving digi prints and backups

Old 04-19-02, 12:48 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with first internal CD Burner purchase, aka, is 12x too slow (w98 pc)

I am in the market for an internal CD Burner for a Windows 98 PC. I will be using it almost exclusively for digital picture archiving, as well as occasional backups for my documents at home.

My big question is this:

How slow is 12x burning and is a 4mb buffer enough?

Staples has a Sony internal drive that burns at 12x and has a 4mb buffer that is on clearance for $31.

My first impulse is that I should get this as when I am writing lots of pictures, I'll have no problem walking away while its burning.

Scanning tigerdirect.com shows me an artec at 24x burning for 69. They also have Sony models with 24x burn or 32x that with either a 20 or 30 rebate brings the drive to about 79-89.

I had always assumed that I would just be paying around $100 for a burner.

So again, will I kick myself to buy a drive that writes at 12x or should I spend a bit more?

Also, with DVD burners coming down in price and desirability on the rise, I would think that the prices on the CD burners will be coming down in the future. I wouldn't mind waiting a few months to get the burner if I thought that was going to happen.

Please pass on your thoughts! Thanks!

Last edited by JLB; 04-19-02 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-19-02, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12x will take about 7 minutes to write a full 650 mb cd. 4 mb is enough. make sure that the burner you get has burn proof, or something similar to it, which basically will pause the writing when the buffer runs out. the price of cd burners are dropping, but i don't think they're gonna have a huge drop anytime soon. if you don't burn too much, then 12x won't matter...but if you burn 5 a day, then you'll notice a big difference