Reload this Page >

strange noise from motherboard?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-19-02, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i came home today and there was a strange humming coming from my computer. i popped the case off, thinking it was the hard drive, but it wasn't. it seems to be coming from the bottom of the case, on the right hand side. from what i can see, it seems to be where the mother board is. it's not the fan or any of the drives. what could this be? i have an amd k6-2 450 if that helps.
Old 04-19-02, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is your motherboard vibrating?
Old 04-19-02, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Could it have been coming from the Processor? Most processors have a fan of some type. Unless it's the built-in speaker or something?!
Old 04-19-02, 03:01 PM
Banned

It soulds a lot like a power supply problem. But if it's not that then it could still be the part of the MB that does voltage conversion. Look for something that's loose.
Old 04-19-02, 11:35 PM

from what i could see and hear, it seems to be coming from the side that's facing the metal casing on my computer frame. i guess i'll just pop the motherboard out tomorrow and se if anything came loose. anything i need to know about pulling the board out or is it just like any other card?

it's still doing it today, but it's spotty and not quite as loud. i can feel some vibration overall, but i haven't narrowed it down specifically to the motherboard.
Old 04-20-02, 02:21 AM

before you pull the board make sure everything is unplugged and touch something grounded, take precautions just as if you were putting the thing together, you will need to take out all your other cards as well before removing the MB
Old 04-20-02, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This happened to me once when one of the blades broke off my case fan, caused the whole thing to vibrate, and it wasn't easy to tell exactly where it was coming from. If your fan is dirty, I supposed it could become unbalanced and do the same???
Old 04-21-02, 01:31 AM

i pulled the fan off my processor and banged it around a few times and now everything seems to be back to normal. thanks for your help.
Old 04-30-02, 03:50 AM

so the fan has started making noise again. where would be a good online place to order a new one? what is the actual name for these fans?
Old 04-30-02, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

cpu fans.

make sure you put on artic silver or some other thermal conductor before attaching a HS/Fan although I guess with a slower cpu heat might not be as big of an issue.