Reload this Page >

Help With Memory Loss

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help With Memory Loss

Old 04-18-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help With Memory Loss

Ok, I have 256 megs of ram in my CPU, on an Athalon 750 and running Windows ME. I recently noticed my computer was really slow and I was getting "Out Of Memory" messages, so I loaded up Norton Utilities and took a look, my Available Physical Memory(PM) was at about 1.4meg (again, I have 256meg) so I am guessing I have a HUGE memory leak somewhere. I closed all my programs and rebooted. I then opened Norton Utilities again and it said I had 24meg of PM free. And as soon as I ran another program, it droped back down to 1.5 and then slowly went down by .1 untill it got to 0.0 (the program had not opened yet) it then took the program another 40 or so seconds to open, and then my PM went back up to around 10. Can someone please tell me how to fix this? I am thinking this is the source of my computer slowage
Old 04-18-02, 11:03 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ME is a piece of crap and known to have memory leaks. Even MS will acknowledge it now.

Your best bet is to convert as fast as you can to XP.
Old 04-18-02, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Go into msconfig (START-RUN-MSCONFIG) and choose "Selective Startup". Uncheck the last box "Load startup group items" and reboot. If the problem is solved when you reboot then it is a program loading at startup. Then recheck the "Load startup group items" box and click on the "Startup" tab at the top. Start going through the list unchecking one at a time and rebooting until you find the culprit.
Old 04-18-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by johnglass
Go into msconfig (START-RUN-MSCONFIG) and choose "Selective Startup". Uncheck the last box "Load startup group items" and reboot. If the problem is solved when you reboot then it is a program loading at startup. Then recheck the "Load startup group items" box and click on the "Startup" tab at the top. Start going through the list unchecking one at a time and rebooting until you find the culprit.
My "startup" is empty
Old 04-18-02, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As X mentioned, one of the reasons why many users heap scorn upon WinMe is precisely because it's prone to memory problems.

Using a truely modern OS like WinXP or Win2K (still the best OS Microsoft ever released as far as I'm concerned) is the best way to avoid ever having to deal with that problem.

Otherwise, a clean re-install of WinMe might get your system running back to it's normal performance level again. Just be careful to re-install programs starting only with those that you actually use on a regular basis. Make sure that the system is running smoothly, then if you wish, start adding the more superfluous programs. If you pay attention to that process and at some point notice the system getting bogged down again, then you should be able to identify the problem application.

BTW, I'm not a huge fan of Symantec software either. I used to consider NU mandatory for all machines, but a while ago, their stuff went completely to crap, causing all kinds of problems and instabilities; so I stopped using them. I'm sure they've fixed whatever problems they were having, but at this point I find I don't need their tools much any more.
Old 04-19-02, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is exactly why I upgraded from ME to XP. I had 512 megs of RAM, but after leaving my computer on for a day or two, and just running normal programs, I'd be down to just a few megs of RAM...and the only solution was to reboot. That memory leak problem sucks, but what sucks even more is that Microsoft won't fix it because they released XP. Forced me to buy XP.

Edit: I do have to say, though, XP is stable as hell!
Old 04-19-02, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Two words: Ginko Biloba
Old 04-19-02, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk God

yep.. winME has large memory leaks, and no plans for ms to fix them

if upgrading is not an option..
get a free copy of a program like ram idle.. it will keep a reading of how much free memory you have, and lets you regain memory from the leaks..
I have several programs I run, that I know have huge leaks.. my ram will drop from 768 to 200 in the matter of a couple hours, and my system will run really slow.. but by using ram idle, I can free up the memory and it goes back to running like normal.
Old 04-19-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go into msconfig (START-RUN-MSCONFIG) and choose "Selective Startup". Uncheck the last box "Load startup group items" and reboot.
Ok, this did seem to help. cause now I have about 150meg free. What I'm thinking happened is: I use Kazaa, and it comes with 2 programes (Ne.exe and Dw.exe) which are the programs that run the adds. Dw.exe launches on startup (which I can't figure out how to prevent) so I'm guessing the memory leak is in those programs. I tried deleting them, but then Kazaa won't load. Is there a way I can prevent just those to exe files from being accessed?
Old 04-19-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Joxer

Ok, this did seem to help. cause now I have about 150meg free. What I'm thinking happened is: I use Kazaa, and it comes with 2 programes (Ne.exe and Dw.exe) which are the programs that run the adds. Dw.exe launches on startup (which I can't figure out how to prevent) so I'm guessing the memory leak is in those programs. I tried deleting them, but then Kazaa won't load. Is there a way I can prevent just those to exe files from being accessed?
you can use kazaa lite instead
yep, its a known fact that kazaa has a memory leak...
just like its a known fact that winME is nothing more then a huge memory leak in the mask of an operating system
Old 04-19-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Joxer

Click on the startup tab in msconfig, and just uncheck these two items. I can't guarantee that Kazaa will work though.
Old 04-20-02, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Click on the startup tab in msconfig, and just uncheck these two items. I can't guarantee that Kazaa will work though.
there is a site for grokster

http://www.project-insomnia.com/grokster.html

you can eliminate the spyware and still run it.

Not sure about Kazaa however.