Reload this Page >

replacing laptop fan?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

replacing laptop fan?

Old 04-18-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing laptop fan?

i have a gateway solo 5150 (pII 233). it's been a great laptop for 4 years now, but it seemed like it's been getting noisier lately. the BIOS has an option for "silent" to minimize fan use, but they're almost always on now.

i've never even cracked open the case of a laptop before, and when i did this evening it looked like i pulled loose the little IDE cables of the hard drive (about the width of scotch tape?)... so then i plugged them back in as best i could, hoping that i hadn't really fouled things up, and closed the case.

in my poking around, i didn't even dismantle the computer quite enough to get to the fan to look at it. are cooling fans in laptops generally fairly replaceable? should I even try?

(does a pII 233 even need a fan? this fan doesn't seem to be moving much air if any...)
Old 04-18-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Have you ever tried opening the laptop?If You can do it then replacing a fan is easy!But if have no idea how to open it,you might damage the casing and the lathes,so better ask the Gateway team to do it for you.Some Laptops are very hard and if your not carefull you might break a few of those plastic part.Even the pro of Dell who came to replace my keyboard took 40 mins to set is correctly cause the locks are sometimes very hard to put back!
Old 04-19-02, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i had the case almost completely open. then when i saw the little plastic strips from the HD were disconnected, i got nervous and put it all back together again.
Old 04-19-02, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Ive taken quite a few laptops apart

putting them back together is the fun part
Old 04-21-02, 03:19 AM

Eeyore, since you don't "appear" to have that much experience w/ taking apart laptops, I would agree w/ Kumar J, and suggest that you have Gateway perform the fan replacement. The last time a friend and I took apart a laptop, carefully I might add, when we put it back together, it would not POST. When the Dell tech came over the next day it turned out that a small connection was loose and everything was cool. Just my honest opinion, hope this helps.
Old 04-21-02, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the laptop's probably not worth as much these days as they'd charge to fix it. besides, that's how i learned about desktops... by screwing them up and then figuring out how to get them to work again.

in any case, i'll probably just leave it noisy for now :> i don't have enough time to deal with it these days.
Old 04-21-02, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Send it to Twikoff,he likes to take to strip them and putting them back on!Just get him a DVD he likes!
Old 05-01-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm sure everyone has been HIGHLY concerned about this for the past few weeks... but those little plastic strips i disconnected must've been for the speakers, because now i have no sound on my laptop. not a big loss, but frustrating nonetheless.

i couldn't believe that something as important as the harddrive would have such flimsy connectors (and that there'd be two of them?)... and i guess i'm glad that they weren't for the hard drive.

i guess i'll have to crack the case open again and see if i can slip those suckers back in a bit better this time.
Old 05-03-02, 01:09 AM

i guess i'll have to crack the case open again and see if i can slip those suckers back in a bit better this time.
Good luck Eeyore, keep us informed
Old 05-03-02, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

heh, since i poke my nose in everyone elses' computer problems, i felt it was my duty to demonstrate my ineptitude so nobody will be surprised when i give really bad advice