Reload this Page >

Serious need of some help! Soyo Barebone system wont boot

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-18-02, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

Just wondering if the fellow people who bought the Athlon 1700+ barbone from Outpost is having this problem.

I was replacing some cable, (old IDE ribbon to some new round IDE cable) and I was powering up my system to check to see if all of the cables worked. When I turn on the machine, only the red light stays on (the one on the front of the case), no green light. Also, no display comes up, nor any beeps. Now even stranger, I can't turn off the power unless I turn it off from the back switch, or if I hold down the front power button for 5 seconds....

I switched back to my old cables to the same result....

Has this happen to you? Is there a reset function I am missing? Did I accidently cause some shortage? I checked the SOYO website without finding any answers....

PLEASE HELP! I'm lookin for my next best friend

Fongwin
Old 04-18-02, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if no beeps are happening, it sounds like something pretty central to the system is happening (i don't know this board, but you should look in the manual and it might tell you under troubleshooting what various beeps/no beeps mean for the Power-On-Self-Test)

make sure everything is plugged in, especially the CPU fan and check the memory to make sure it is firmly seated.

I assume that the machine was working fine before the round cables went in? can you think of anything else you changed or might have bumped?
Old 04-18-02, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmmmm.... WHen you bought this motherboard/processor from outpost did it come with a case or did you have to mount it in the case?

Check the wires that go from the case to the motherboard for the power switch, power LED, etc... make sure they're connected properly with the ground on the proper side, etc.. The motherboard manual will tell you where they need to go.

Also, reseat the processor, memory, etc...

On an ATX power supply it's normal to have to hold the button down for 5 seconds to get it to power off. An ATX power supply is controled via the motherboard. In the past, the power switch was connected directly to the power supply, but now the power supply connects to the board and the case/switch connect to the board.

Good Luck!
Old 04-18-02, 03:22 PM

Another thing - if you assembled it yourself, make sure that the back of the motherboard isn't shorting out against the case somewhere. I see this happen quite often when someone puts a metal motherboard standoff in the wrong spot. The motherboard fits in the case fine, and people put in all the other screws, no problem - but the standoff that's in the wrong spot shorts out traces on the back of the motherboard.
Old 04-18-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I purchased the same case / mother board / CPU that he is talking about. His mother board came installed inside of the case, though he would have had to put in the CPU and everything else (fan, video card, hard drive, cd-rw, modem, RAM).

It sounds like he had everything working fine until he tried to replace some cables. After that, even when he went back to the old cables, the computer isn't working. Exactly which cables were replaced?
Old 04-18-02, 05:11 PM

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies...

After removing all of my cards and devices, the machine powers up, but no beeps or display. Not even the lights in the front of the machine (red or green) displays. The fans all run fine, it just doesnt boot.

I was replacing the IDE cables and Floppy cables, to round ones, to increase airflow, since many people were saying that this case runs hot. But either way, I replaced the old ribbons back in place to no avail.

I called SOYO tech support, and they seem to think I have to reinstall the CPU and Fan. They think I may have bumped it some how...though I cant think that I have ever done so....

Any more thoughts? Thanks for your suggestions already!

Fong
Old 04-18-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you do reseat the CPU, make sure you re-apply thermal paste otherwise you can easily fry your chip.

Dave
Old 04-18-02, 08:35 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

are you using the retail fan (the one that came with the cpu) or a different fan that you bought, say, a volcano 7?

--HN
Old 04-18-02, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I built one of these systems for myself and one for a customer, and after initial success I've been running into all kinds of problems. I won't go into details about them here, but I ran into similar problems you are having with one of the systems this past weekend. Here's a few suggestions:

1) Check the blue dip switch on the mobo right about where the ide cable would plug into the top device (CD rom on mine). When I was pulling out the IDE cable I accidentally knocked switch 4 to on. You should have 1 on, the rest off.

2) Disconnect the floppy completely from the system and try booting. This board seems real finicky about the type of floppy it would accept (two known good floppy drives would not work in either of my systems, the third works in both).

3) Update the bios. Make sure to use the CD that came with the board and click "updates" because the bios isn't available at the soyo site (as far as I can tell). Also make sure you choose the K7ADA Version 1 bios, not the other.

4) When trying to reboot, remove the power cord from the PC for a few seconds rather than flipping the switch in the back. Seemed to make a difference for me when I couldn't get a boot.

Good luck... you'll need it with this thing!
Old 04-19-02, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What MHz should this thing be showing at start-up?

I'm only getting 1100, and I was expecting 1500.

Any suggestions?

Ryan
Old 04-19-02, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now it's freezing up every 15 minutes or so. My monitor LED turns yellow and I have to hard boot.

Help me, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DamingR
What MHz should this thing be showing at start-up?

I'm only getting 1100, and I was expecting 1500.

Any suggestions?

Ryan
If you are referring to the same Soyo barebones system that I am, the processor should read 1700 at boot. If not, you likely have an incorrect jumper or bios setting. Try resetting defaults (optimized or fail-safe) in the bios and see what it reads. This probably won't help your freezing problem though.
Old 04-24-02, 05:32 PM

Status update...

So I've tried most all of your suggestions (Thanks all!!!!)
and have reseeded my CPU (with Thermal Grease - thanks Dave99). Still does not want to boot. I have no IDE cables or floppy cables attached, nor do I have any cards installed. Just the CPU and RAM. Either way, no matter what I have in or out of it, it still won't boot.

All that I am consistantly getting when I turn on the power is the three fans (case, mobo, and cpu fans) spinning, no beeps, and the red light in the front staying lit. Aside from that, nothing.....

I've checked and double checked (jumpers, cables, etc..) and everything looks like its normal....

Are my next steps purchasing another CPU? Another MOBO? Both? Any other tests I can try to isolate where the problem is?

Thanks again for all of your help so far, and anything you guys can think for me to try would be great!

Fong
Old 04-24-02, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you trying to use the multiplier? Every time I've tried to set the multiplyer I get the same thing -- no boot.

I finally got the CPU to stop freezing (damn Radeon chip) but now I'm stuck at 1100 MHZ.

Other people with this system: have you manually set the multiplier? have you adjusted your bios? What MHz are you booting at?

Ryan
Old 04-25-02, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Fongwin
Status update...

So I've tried most all of your suggestions (Thanks all!!!!)
and have reseeded my CPU (with Thermal Grease - thanks Dave99). Still does not want to boot. I have no IDE cables or floppy cables attached, nor do I have any cards installed. Just the CPU and RAM. Either way, no matter what I have in or out of it, it still won't boot.

All that I am consistantly getting when I turn on the power is the three fans (case, mobo, and cpu fans) spinning, no beeps, and the red light in the front staying lit. Aside from that, nothing.....

I've checked and double checked (jumpers, cables, etc..) and everything looks like its normal....

Are my next steps purchasing another CPU? Another MOBO? Both? Any other tests I can try to isolate where the problem is?

Thanks again for all of your help so far, and anything you guys can think for me to try would be great!

Fong
make sure the video card is in or else most bios will not boot at all.

By the way what case is everyone using. If it is a cheap case you may have a power supply problem. you need a good quality power supply to run an athlon xp.

disconnect all the fans except the cpu fan. for a short time this will be fine.
Old 04-25-02, 02:58 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Status update...

Fong
what about my question above, regarding the fan?

--HN
Old 04-25-02, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by HN

what about my question above, regarding the fan?

--HN

Sorry HN - I am using the retail stock fan that the Athlon XP chip came with.

It ran fine, no problems with it at all....up until I decided to change the cables...

DamingR - Don't know what a multipling means..so to answer your question...no

Also, as for the Video Card... I did try to boot it with just the video card, ram, and Cpu....same crappy result..

The case is I guess a standard ATX case, with 300W power supply. Nothing fancy...just a simple case...

I will try unplugging all of the fans, except the CPU and see what happends...

Thanks again for you help guys...

Fong
Old 04-25-02, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by DamingR
....but now I'm stuck at 1100 MHZ.

Ryan

Oh yea, I had this problem too...SOYO website had the answer..."For K7ADA mobo, set FJ1 to #2 OFF";

Worked for me...

Hope that helps,

Fong
Old 04-25-02, 03:04 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am using the retail stock fan that the Athlon XP chip came with.

Fong
hmm, not the problem i was having then. i'll throw out a suggestion anyway...just make sure the cpu fan is specifically plugged into the header on the mobo that's meant for the cpu fan, not to some other header or to the power supply itself. I'm sure you've done this, just ruling out all possibilities.

--HN
Old 04-25-02, 09:41 PM
Cool New Member

I found i had the same problem with that deal. I had to re-seat my ram every time the power turned on like that. That fixed it for me. REALLY wierd. I have had a lot of really wierd problems with this motherboard, including my mouse staying turned on after the PC is off! Wierd, eh? I dont like this brand.