Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help with EAC - Exact Audio Copy program!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-17-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PLEASE READ MOST RECENT POSTS FOR CURRENT PROBLEMS, thanks!

I installed the EAC program so I can upload my music cds to my harddrive.

I put a music cd in and all the tracks showed up on the screen. What am I suppose to do now to put them on the hard drive? What if I only want to put 3 of the 15 or whatever??

When I click on WAV or MP3 I get --> Filename will be ignored. I have no idea what that means and what I am suppose to do after that.

What is the CD Title and CD Artist for that is up in the top right corner?

The help link on the program is useless.
Thanks for any help on this!!

Download EAC

Last edited by LX98Civic; 05-09-02 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-17-02, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When you put the CD in it will load the tracks. Then you want to click on the little icon that looks like a CD (its next to the icon that looks like a mailbox). This will get the CD information from the CDDB database.

Now that you see the track names then select the files you want to encode and go to "Action" - "Copy Selected Tracks" - "Uncompressed" or hit F5 key.

This will copy the tracks from the CD to the hard drive in WAV format.
Old 04-17-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by palebluedot
When you put the CD in it will load the tracks. Then you want to click on the little icon that looks like a CD (its next to the icon that looks like a mailbox). This will get the CD information from the CDDB database.

Now that you see the track names then select the files you want to encode and go to "Action" - "Copy Selected Tracks" - "Uncompressed" or hit F5 key.

This will copy the tracks from the CD to the hard drive in WAV format.
Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Got a couple more Q's for you though

When I go through all the process, Filename will be ignored is still coming up to name the file. I imagine I just type in whatever name I want?? ....Also, what if I am uploading 3 songs? Will it put all of them as one file? Meaning I need to do one song at a time? I should upload them to the file where all my music is right? ....It's wanting to upload to a different folder when it pops up.

Once again the help is very appreciated!!

Thanks!
Old 04-17-02, 09:58 PM

What you want to do is go to "EAC" - "EAC Options" (or hit F9 key). Then go to the "Filename" tab and put the variables in that you want for the file name. I use %A_%C_%N_%T that gives you a file name that looks like Rush_Moving Pictures_01_Tom Sawyer.

Next go to the "Directories" tab and select "Use this directory" and browse to a folder that you want the WAVs to go to.

And each track on a CD will be a seperate WAV file.
Old 04-17-02, 10:03 PM

Oh yeah also if you have a couple of bad CDs that you want to recover then go to "EAC" - "EAC Options" and on the "Extraction" tab change the "Error recovery quality" to High.

It can take a while to copy a bad CD but it will recover it almost perfectly.
Old 04-17-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Filename will be ignored" just means that it is asking you to select the directory where the extracted files will be stored. The actual file will be named according to the setting entered in the "Filename" tab as palebluedot mentioned.

For reference, I have "%D\%C\%N - %T" entered in the "Naming Scheme" setting of the filename tab. So if I was extracting track 3 from Pearl Jam's Ten album, it would name the file...

D:\Music\Pearl Jam\Ten\03 - Alive.wav

(Actually I have mp3 compression set up so the file is actually named 03 - Alive.mp3)

I created the D:\Music directory manually and is the central place where I store my extracted CD's. So, if I were to use some sort of file sharing program, I would set my D:\Music directory to be shared.

It's very straightforward once it is set up correctly, but learning everything at the beginning can be tough.
Old 04-25-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just transferred my first song

Pretty simple to use.

Is there a way to set what bit rate the songs will be transferred at? What is the standard they are transferred at?

I'm just putting them in the empty "my music" folder and naming them as I bring them over. I'm not really understanding the %_A_% stuff at this time

Thanks to all for the help once again!!
Old 04-25-02, 06:33 PM

File name is very simple...

Open EAC and hit F9 key to get to EAC Options and go to "Filename" tab

When looking at that tab in the box labeled "Naming Scheme" you would type in the variables for the filename...

The variables are:

%T - Track title
%N - Track number
%A - CD artist
%Y - CD year
%C - CD title
etc...

So if you want the wav file names to look like this...

Bic Runga_Drive_01_Sway.wav

Then you would put the following chain in that box...

%A_%C_%N_%T

If you want i to look like this...

Bic Runga - Drive - 01 - Sway.wav

Then you would use...

%A - %C - %N - %T

Just copy and paste from this post into that box and give it a try.

What exactly are you using to encode the mp3s after you extract with EAC? Need to know that to help you with bitrate setting.

Last edited by palebluedot; 04-25-02 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-25-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

File name is very simple...

Open EAC and hit F9 key to get to EAC Options and go to "Filename" tab

When looking at that tab in the box labeled "Naming Scheme" you would type in the variables for the filename...

The variables are:

%T - Track title
%N - Track number
%A - CD artist
%Y - CD year
%C - CD title
etc...

So if you want the wav file names to look like this...

Bic Runga_Drive_01_Sway.wav

Then you would put the following chain in that box...

%A_%C_%N_%T

If you want i to look like this...

Bic Runga - Drive - 01 - Sway.wav

Then you would use...

%A - %C - %N - %T

Just copy and paste from this post into that box and give it a try.

What exactly are you using to encode the mp3s after you extract with EAC? Need to know that to help you with bitrate setting.
Thanks for clearing that up. I understand it now

I am just transferring the songs to my folder on the "C" drive. From there it is played through Windows Media Player. I do also notice that when I play a song that I uploaded from EAC and a song I DL'ed from Kazaa (which plays on another type of player), the songs from kazaa are WAY louder. I have to turn the Wondows Media up all the way where I can leave the other at 1/10th and get the same volume

Will this be a problem on the cd?

Thanks
Old 04-25-02, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by LX98Civic

Thanks for clearing that up. I understand it now

I am just transferring the songs to my folder on the "C" drive. From there it is played through Windows Media Player. I do also notice that when I play a song that I uploaded from EAC and a song I DL'ed from Kazaa (which plays on another type of player), the songs from kazaa are WAY louder. I have to turn the Wondows Media up all the way where I can leave the other at 1/10th and get the same volume

Will this be a problem on the cd?

Thanks
Well remember that the songs you are ripping from your CDs are WAV files. The songs you download are MP3 files. You probably need to go into the volume settings on your computer and turn the WAV volume up.

Are you just going to leave the files you rip from CDs as WAV files or are you going to eventually convert to MP3?
Old 04-25-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well remember that the songs you are ripping from your CDs are WAV files. The songs you download are MP3 files. You probably need to go into the volume settings on your computer and turn the WAV volume up.
WAV volume affects both.
Old 04-26-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are you just going to leave the files you rip from CDs as WAV files or are you going to eventually convert to MP3?
How do I go about converting them (wav) over to mp3? I notice that the wav files are taking up a lot more space than the mp3's. Weird stuff!
Old 04-26-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To convert the wav's to mp3's you need an encoder. http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/ contains a pretty good set of links to encoders and recommended settings. The easiest way I know how to put it is (using EAC)...

1. Download LAME. LAME is an mp3 encoder.

2. Unzip the contents of the zip file above into a directory. I created a LAME directory inside of my EAC directory and extracted the contents of the zip file into that.

3. In EAC, in the 'Compression Options' under 'External Compression' tab, I checked 'Use external program for compression'. Set 'Parameter Passing Scheme' to 'LAME mp3 encoder'. My 'Program path...' is 'C:\My Data\EAC\LAME\lame.exe'.

4. Now, I believe if you leave 'Additional command line options' blank then you can set the bit rate the mp3's using the drop down menu labeled 'Bit rate'.

5. Now, when you insert a CD you should retrieve the album names from the internet by going to 'Database' and 'Get CD Information From >'. You can set EAC to do this automatically in the settings somewhere.

6. Now you should be able to click the button on the left-hand side of the EAC screen with 'mp3' on it. EAC will then extract the CD tracks to wav files and then start the LAME program to convert the wav's to mp3's automatically.

You may need another program however to convert the wav files you already have to mp3's. There is a program called RazorLAME that should help with this.

Let us know if you have any problems.
Old 05-09-02, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I installed my new hard drive and just installed EAC onto it.

Originally posted by mtucker
To convert the wav's to mp3's you need an encoder. http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/ contains a pretty good set of links to encoders and recommended settings. The easiest way I know how to put it is (using EAC)...

1. Download LAME. LAME is an mp3 encoder.

I went to install LAME from that link above. What I did:
--Inside my EAC folder I created a folder called "LAME"
--When I was asked to save LAME after the DL, I choose the new folder inside EAC --> "LAME"
--When I go to open the icon inside the folder I get:
Error loading the file: D:/ExactAudioCopy/Lame/lame3.90.2-ICL.zip

2. Unzip the contents of the zip file above into a directory. I created a LAME directory inside of my EAC directory and extracted the contents of the zip file into that.
I bet this is what I am doing wrong! ..not unzipping the file?? If you could explain what I am doing wrong or how I unzip the file that would probably do it

3. In EAC, in the 'Compression Options' under 'External Compression' tab, I checked 'Use external program for compression'. Set 'Parameter Passing Scheme' to 'LAME mp3 encoder'. My 'Program path...' is 'C:\My Data\EAC\LAME\lame.exe'.

4. Now, I believe if you leave 'Additional command line options' blank then you can set the bit rate the mp3's using the drop down menu labeled 'Bit rate'.

5. Now, when you insert a CD you should retrieve the album names from the internet by going to 'Database' and 'Get CD Information From >'. You can set EAC to do this automatically in the settings somewhere.

6. Now you should be able to click the button on the left-hand side of the EAC screen with 'mp3' on it. EAC will then extract the CD tracks to wav files and then start the LAME program to convert the wav's to mp3's automatically.

You may need another program however to convert the wav files you already have to mp3's. There is a program called RazorLAME that should help with this.

Let us know if you have any problems.
Thanks again for any help you can offer!!!
Old 05-09-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I might not be understanding the question right, but I'll offer suggestions.

First make sure you have downloaded Winzip. www.winzip.com Then unzip the downloaded Lame zipfile to your folder of choice. After opening the zip file, select the 'Extract' icon at the top and extract the files.

In EAC, when you designate the program to use for encoding, use lame.exe not lame.zip. Then you can extract the files to wherever you choose and Lame will do the wav to mp3 encoding for you.
Old 05-09-02, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Xanager
I might not be understanding the question right, but I'll offer suggestions.

First make sure you have downloaded Winzip. www.winzip.com Then unzip the downloaded Lame zipfile to your folder of choice. After opening the zip file, select the 'Extract' icon at the top and extract the files.

In EAC, when you designate the program to use for encoding, use lame.exe not lame.zip. Then you can extract the files to wherever you choose and Lame will do the wav to mp3 encoding for you.
Thanks for the info, but winzip looks like it costs. They (posts up top) did not say anything about winzip, so I am a little confused to why I need it. Thanks for any input on this!
Old 05-09-02, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, Winzip has an evaluation version that is free unless you're going to use it for commercial purposes. You should download and install it, because it's a pretty standard utility that every computer should have. The zip format is pretty widely used, so you're likely to encounter other zipped files in the future.

Download the free evaluation version here.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 05-09-02 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-09-02, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, pretty much what Salty said. Everyone should have winzip. It's an evaluation version, but it never really expires and the format is pretty universal.
Old 05-09-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I got winzip installed (thanks guys!!)
I went to unzip "LAME" and now I have the folder: "C:\unzipped\lame3.90.2-ICL"

"Then unzip the downloaded Lame zipfile to your folder of choice. After opening the zip file, select the 'Extract' icon at the top and extract the files."

I didn't even get a choice. I don't even recall seeing "Extract" icon. ....what exactly am I suppose to be doing with this winzip?

Please excuse my ignorance!

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-09-02, 10:40 PM

Try this...

Just right click on the lame.zip file and there should be an option on the menu that pops up to unzip the file. Just do that and then move the unzipped folders and files to the directory you want them to be in.
Old 05-10-02, 12:38 AM

Okay I made this web-site for you.

It takes you from beginning to end of installing, configuring, and making a MP3 with EAC and LAME.

http://home.attbi.com/~mikehawley/
Old 05-10-02, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FWIW, I use CDex 1.40

You can rip cd's into WAV files or MP3 files at any bitrate you choose

You can also convert MP3 to WAV or WAV to MP3

It also uses the LAME encoder

This is a free program

http://download.com.com/3000-2140-94...ml?tag=lst-0-1

Last edited by jumbojp; 05-10-02 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-10-02, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LX98Civic
I didn't even get a choice. I don't even recall seeing "Extract" icon. ....what exactly am I suppose to be doing with this winzip?
Yes, you got a choice, you just missed it.

When you double click on a zipped file, you launch the WinZip Wizard. You unzip the file by clicking "Next" buttons. At about the third screen, you get "Click 'Unzip Now' to unzip to the selected folder." It's here where you have the option to select a different folder than the default. Click "Select different folder," and either choose an existing folder or create one wherever you want.

A zipped file, by the way, is just a file that has been compressed by about 15% to make it smaller. This allows for faster downloads, etc. WinZip is a the most common program for unzipping them. Once you've unzipped and installed the program, you can delete the original zipped file if you want to.
Old 05-10-02, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay I made this web-site for you.[/url]
palebluedot,

Wow, that Web site is excellent! I've just started tinkering with EAC, too, and I much appreciate the effort. I'll be going through your Website this weekend with a fine-tooth comb.

I copied a CD tonight using the program and it worked fine, right up until the burner --- a new TDK 32x10x40 --- was burning the lead-out. The burner would just hang, with the burn indicator light on like it was burning a hole through the disc or something. The disc wouldn't even eject. Twice I had to restart my computer to solve the problem. Despite all this, the burned discs worked perfectly in two different CD players I tried them in.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?
Old 05-10-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay I made this web-site for you.

It takes you from beginning to end of installing, configuring, and making a MP3 with EAC and LAME.

http://home.attbi.com/~mikehawley/
Holy $hit!! That was A~W~E~S~O~M~E and VERY much appreciated!!

That was so simple with those instrucs! No way in hell I could of did all that on my own

I have a Q:

The install went perfect! .....I tried it out by putting in a cd and uploading 1 song.

The TDK drive kept pausing (like 3 times). It would just freeze up (time remaining would pause) and then several seconds later start back up. The song is playing flawlessly as I listen to it now. Is this normal to happen?

Also, when I went to my folder to get the Mp3, there are 2 files for that 1 song. One is for Windows Media Player (which is 66bytes) and the other is Rio Audio Port Manager (which is 7,272kb).

Anyway I can just get it to put 1 and not both files in the folder? ....Can someone please explain bytes and kb to me as to which is larger / smaller? I want to keep the smaller one correct?

Thanks again for all the help!!

>>>> Just looking through the mp3s on the C: drive and I notice they are all ?,???kb!! So, I take it the 66 bytes file above is pretty BIG? .....How can I get it not to put that larger file on each time I upload some songs?

Last edited by LX98Civic; 05-10-02 at 10:32 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.