Reload this Page >

Help Needed Escaping AOL

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help Needed Escaping AOL

Old 04-17-02, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Needed Escaping AOL

My parents (yes, even OldDude has parents) have finally gotten sick of bad service from AOL. I set up a new account for them with my service provider today. I still need the startup disk with newer versions of Explorer and Outlook Express because their computer is really old, but I got it working with Explorer 4.0 and MS Inbox, which were on the computer, and tested it.

Where I need help. I've looked at their favorites list and address book in AOL software, and I can't find any commands to export them, so I can import them into new programs. The AOL version is also really old (4.0, I think). Has anybody found a way to export them?

I didn't have time to finish, but I cut and pasted a couple of each to WordPad document to convince myself that I could at least do that. Neither is too long, so if worse comes to worse, I'll do that.

2nd Question> I've heard horror stories about getting AOL to disconnect you when you ask. ANybody know a way that doesn't make it a big hassle?

Editted to add: OS = Win95, computer = 266 MHz Pentium, about 4-5 years old.

Last edited by OldDude; 04-17-02 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-18-02, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't help you with the software issue. But I was using AOL when my cable modem was down for a couple of weeks. When the cable modem came back up, I called up AOL to cancel. The lady asks me why I want to cancel so quick (<2 wks), and I told her the truth. Account cancelled in less than the time I was on hold.
Old 04-19-02, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When i called to cancel AOL it was a pain. They offer to give you free hours, they even tried to convince me to pay $5/month or something to reserve my screenname incase I decide to come back to AOL.

As long as you stick to your guns, you can cancel.
Old 04-19-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

AOL is a giant pain in the ass to cancel depending on the CS person you get.

When I got my first PC, I didn't have the PC set up disc for the ISP I was using( Iwas using SEGANET on my Dreamcast), and I used AOL until SEGANET was up and running on my PC.

When I called to cancel, it took me about 45 minutes and 4 different people to cancel.

AOl
Old 04-19-02, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Come on ppl, it's not that hard. Just tell 'em u want to cancel, and just say no to anything else they say. Just lie to them, say you gotta go to work in 5 min, so hurry it up. It's really not that big a deal.
Old 04-19-02, 12:36 PM

Yeah, when I canceled I said that I had been using dialup and had moved and gotten a cable modem. I told them that i barely used AOL at all and when I did use it, it was just to delete all the garbage email that was sent to me.

I don't think I was on the phone more than 15 minutes.
Old 04-19-02, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cancellation won't be too bad. My Dad has the account on a credit card he doesn't really want anymore. He has already said if they give him too many problems on cancellation, he will cancel the card instead.

No ideas on exporting address book or favorites? I have to go over there tomorrow and finish up one way or another.
Old 04-19-02, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cancelling AOL is a major hassle, and they only let you do it by calling a customer service rep for one reason: so they can haggle you to death to stay on. I knew the m.o. of the customer reps, so I was just as feisty about giving them a big fat NO. They claimed that for "security reasons," they wouldn't allow members to cancel their membership on-line. But if they have all those security measures that lets them subscribe in the first place, how hard can be it to do the opposite?

It was just as bad when they bought out Compuserve. What used to be a great service went down the tubes soon after it changed owners. I had been a member of the "classic" Compuserve until late 1999, but it was literally impossible to find anyone to cancel my account because I was bounced around from one rep to another (all AOL employees!) and given a bunch of different numbers before I was able to find someone to cancel my account. It seemed that no one was able to handle accounts of classic Compuserve users. Even after I had cancelled, they charged my credit card, and I found the useless bureaucracy to undo the charge to be totally just as useless as trying to cancel the account.

You'll get the same hassles with Compuserve 2000, which is nothing more than AOL in wolves' clothing.
Old 04-20-02, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Ben732
Yeah, when I canceled I said that I had been using dialup and had moved and gotten a cable modem. I told them that i barely used AOL at all and when I did use it, it was just to delete all the garbage email that was sent to me.

I don't think I was on the phone more than 15 minutes.
I cancelled when I got DSL and they offered to give me AOL for $10/month and optimized for high speed. Whatever.... Why would I need AOL when Southwestern Bell is now taking care of all of my needs?
Old 05-03-02, 06:18 PM

I actually faxed them a letter to cancel. I think I was a member for about 3 hours. My computer crashed and I needed to download the Netzero software again.
Old 05-03-02, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, canceling was pain-free. Agent asked if I already had a new ISP and when I said 'yes," gave up.

Uninstalling the AOL software was a big mistake. It undid the binding between Dial Up Networking and TCP/IP. I had to reload all the communications features of Windows. Unfortunately, my folks software was only available as "factory preload image" so I couldn't access just Windows 95. Had to wipe hard drive and rebuild. I should have moved icon to recycle bin so they couldn't click accidental and left it on the machine.

This message was proofread with the iespell program Geoff is announcing above. Immensely cool.