Someone tell me about making Disk Images

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-17-02, 01:14 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but... I'm running Windows XP Pro, W2kPRO, and 98SE on one computer. Win XP seems to work fine after I first install it. Then it tends to go downhill from them as I use the OS. After about a month Internet Explorer goes dead and keeps crashing. Office XP downgrades... the computer's performance all and all just is sukkeke.

But like I said I have W2k pro on the same computer, Im using that now. It seems to work fine. No issues like XP.

However! I do like using XP and Office XP over 2k and Office 2k! I'm not sure why... but, I want to make a disk image with XP and office xp.. so I can just reinstall everything at once when things go hay wire.

I'm obviously looking for something cheap or as close to free as I can get.

I have Nero 5.5 and it has an option to make a hard disk image. But I'm not sure how it works exactly. I mean the restoring. It seems to want to make burned copy of the entire partition. And restoring, you need to have the exact same sized partition.

So is it possible to make a disk image of just the data and be able to restore it on any sizable partition? (granted it is larger than the data.)
Old 04-17-02, 11:50 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

anyone?
Old 04-18-02, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you have another computer the best thing to do is use a program called Ghost. You create an image on the PC and then store that image on another computer and when you want to reimage you just push it onto the computer over IP.

If you don't have that then you will have to make an image of the hard drive and that requires you to keep the smae partition information.
Old 04-20-02, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Norton Ghost or PowerQuest's Drive Image is what I would use.

Conceptually, you select the partition you want to image, select the level of compression (1 gig at highest compression may take anywhere from 500-700 megs of cdr/w or hard drive space) and go for it.

When you are ready to re-image all you have to do is boot up your image program (usually the DOS based one) and tell the prog what image you would like to re-image and what partition you want to put it. As long as you haven't changed your partitions (like your XP partition) you should be able to slap it right in there. The program will probably tell you that if will auto resize the partition ... but if you haven't change the size since you've imaged it then it won't actually resize. It's just telling you that as a matter of fact just in case it had changed previously.

Hope this helps.