Problem running games.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Problem running games.

Old 04-17-02, 12:33 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem running games.

Hello,

I just bought a new system, outpost.com deal with the AMD Athlon 1700 XP cpu and soyo mobo. I bought a stick of 256mb DDR RAM. CdRom is 17X Min/40X Maximum(just cd not dvd). I got a 32mg video card(ATI Xpert 2000 Pro). i downloaded and installed the latest driver for the video card. Installed directX8.

Everything seems to be working ok except everytime I load a game the screen will go black like it is getting ready to load and start the game then it will flash the desktop screen quickly(like a split second) then go black again for a couple of seconds like it is trying to load again and then just return back to the desktop screen without loading the game. Games just will not load. I am trying to play EA Madden 2000, EA NHL 2001, and the survivor game.

Very frustrated because I upgraded my system basically to play games! Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Old 04-17-02, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

uninstall direct x 8

install whatever version of direct x that comes with the games you are using. they always bundle the version you need to run. so if direct x 7 is what you need install that and do not go higher until you need it.

are you sure the ati card can even run the games. it is an older card.

maybe spend a few dollars and get a cheap radeon or geforce 2.

by the way what operating system are you running? win 98se, win me, win 2K, XP
Old 04-17-02, 08:35 AM
Cool New Member

I am running win 98.

I tried uninstalling everyting and reinstalling and got the same thing. I'm not sure about the video card. I figured it is 32mb so I thought it would do but maybe I am wrong. You think that might be the problem. Any other ideas? Thanks
Old 04-18-02, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mcbmoreno
I am running win 98.

I tried uninstalling everyting and reinstalling and got the same thing. I'm not sure about the video card. I figured it is 32mb so I thought it would do but maybe I am wrong. You think that might be the problem. Any other ideas? Thanks
personally I would try a new video card.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...ion=14-129-007

$52.00 shipped for a nicer video card.

maybe someone else has a solution who uses the ati card you have.

video card reviews of your card:
PCworld
WHAT'S NOT: Avoid this card if your pastimes include blowing away goons in Quake. Compared to other cards in our roundup, the Xpert 2000 turned in the slowest Quake 3 frame rate of 30 frames per second when running at a resolution of 800 by 600 and 32-bit color. It also turned in the slowest frame rate on Flight Simulator 2000, where it ran at a lethargic 15 fps. We rated its image quality as fair overall, but we spotted numerous problems in our test games. In Quake, for instance, it showed some banding in the sky and intermittent white artifacts.

I assume you downloaded the patches for the games- madden nfl 2000 has 4 or so,

not sure about the rest of your games. I tried to go onto ea.com to look at the support page to see if i could see anything. However the website is down for now.

sorry.

Last edited by gcribbs; 04-18-02 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-19-02, 02:35 PM

I think this may help ya...

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenT...5&m=7640993534
Old 04-19-02, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would installing an older version of DirectX help?
Old 04-20-02, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by criptik28
Why would installing an older version of DirectX help?
some video cards might not support features in direct X 8 and since this card is very old video card wise i figured it was worth a shot to suggest that.

when in doubt try the little things first.
Old 04-20-02, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Problem running games.

Originally posted by mcbmoreno
Hello,

I just bought a new system, outpost.com deal with the AMD Athlon 1700 XP cpu and soyo mobo. I bought a stick of 256mb DDR RAM. CdRom is 17X Min/40X Maximum(just cd not dvd). I got a 32mg video card(ATI Xpert 2000 Pro). i downloaded and installed the latest driver for the video card. Installed directX8.

Everything seems to be working ok except everytime I load a game the screen will go black like it is getting ready to load and start the game then it will flash the desktop screen quickly(like a split second) then go black again for a couple of seconds like it is trying to load again and then just return back to the desktop screen without loading the game. Games just will not load. I am trying to play EA Madden 2000, EA NHL 2001, and the survivor game.

Very frustrated because I upgraded my system basically to play games! Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Madden NFL 2000 requires the video card to be fully compatible with Direct3D to run in this mode. On these chipsets, the game will run normally in software mode. To change the rendering to software, bring up the autorun menu for Madden NFL 2000, and click the Direct3d entry (it will be just above "play" in the menu) and choose "non-accelerated" from the available options

can you even get into a menu to change to a software mode?