Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

computer speaker recommendations

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-16-02, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to spend around $150 for some good computer speakers. Here are the current speakers I am looking into:

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=521&scat=524

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=521&scat=524

I am leaning heavily towards the Logitech because of teh 400 watts total power instead of the 30 watts offered by creative. Also the Logitech system for is only $130 at newegg.com (as opposed to Best Buys "$199" price). Any advice or recommendations would be helpful.

I'm using a Creative 5.1 sound card. 90% of my listening is from DVDs and about 10% from music.

Last edited by agent2099; 04-16-02 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-16-02, 05:59 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

What kind of audio are you going to be listening to through your new speakers? Is it going to be games? Music? DVDs? or a mix of everything?

The Logitech Z-560s are pretty much the best bang for the buck. My housemate has this set of speakers for his computer and they absolutely shake the house when he turns them up even a tiny bit. My only knock on these speakers is the subwoofer, there's just way too much bass coming out and sometimes it muddles the sound.

I have the Creative Inspire 5300 5.1 set-up on my computer and for $80 it works great for what I do (mainly music and games). I would suggest taking a look at these if you can as well.

Speakers are always a subjective buy, everyone will tell you their favorite, but as always the best way to tell what's going to be a good buy will be determined by going in and doing your own sound test. Let your ears tell you which to get.

-BT
Old 04-16-02, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by BT
[B]What kind of audio are you going to be listening to through your new speakers? Is it going to be games? Music? DVDs? or a mix of everything?
About 90% DVDs and 10% music.

I have the Creative Inspire 5300 5.1 set-up on my computer and for $80 it works great for what I do (mainly music and games). I would suggest taking a look at these if you can as well.
How is the volume on this set. At 6W per speaker (as opposed to 100 wpc on the Logitech), do the creative speakers get pretty loud? Also how would you rate the clarity of the sound (both at high and low volumes) and how does it compare to the Logitechs.

And my last question is: where in the world do you put the center speaker?
Old 04-16-02, 07:36 PM

I have a sblive 5.1 and the inspire 4.1. I didn't get the 5.1 because I keep the front two speakers next to the monitor so center channel is not a big benefit for. I'm cheap like that lol. The speakers get louder then I'd ever need and I think they sound great. Mine are in a room that is maybe 10'x 14'. I use them mainly for movies.
Old 04-16-02, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by PhaRO
I have a sblive 5.1 and the inspire 4.1. I didn't get the 5.1 because I keep the front two speakers next to the monitor so center channel is not a big benefit for. I'm cheap like that lol. The speakers get louder then I'd ever need and I think they sound great. Mine are in a room that is maybe 10'x 14'. I use them mainly for movies.
I was thinking about getting the inspire 4.1 as well, if I went the creative route. Who needs a center channel for a HTPC setup, I know I don't. As long as the center channel is remixed to fl and fr I'll be fine.

So now it's down to the $45 creative 4.1 setup or the $155 Logitech setup. At $90 for the creative 5.1, I was willing to pay extra for the Logitechs, but at under $50 for the creative 4.1, the choice becomes a little more difficult.
Old 04-17-02, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the center is nice, but it won't help if you're sitting close to the screen and have your front speakers close to the center
Old 04-17-02, 10:30 AM

I was in the exact dilemna that you are in between the Creatice 4.1 and the Logitech Z-560 a couple of months ago. I kept going to CompUSA and listening to the two speaker sets. I really liked the sound of the Logitech but the speakers are quite large. To put on a desk, they were way way too big. The little Creative speakers fit perfectly around my desk and they give plenty of power. Also, I did think that the Logitech had a little too much bass coming out of it and kind of overpowered the system. Save your money, get the 4.1 set, you won't be disappointed and use the extra money for a HT setup for your dvds and what not.
Old 04-17-02, 02:22 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by agent2099

About 90% DVDs and 10% music.

How is the volume on this set. At 6W per speaker (as opposed to 100 wpc on the Logitech), do the creative speakers get pretty loud? Also how would you rate the clarity of the sound (both at high and low volumes) and how does it compare to the Logitechs.

And my last question is: where in the world do you put the center speaker?
I never set the volume anywhere near the half-way point on this set of speakers. If you read computer speaker reviews you'll see that wattages can be deceiving. The sound on my Creative set is much clearer (the high and low clarity is much better) than the Logitechs that my housemate has. Since you're going to be 90% DVDs I would definitely recommend the Creative speakers over the logitech Z-560s. The Creative speakers sound clarity is much better suited for watching DVDs than the logitechs are. (Again you should definitely go to the store and listen to both sets with your own ears to make a final decision)

I put the center speaker on top of my monitor.

The only thing with the Creatives is that I haven't seen speaker stands (for the rear speakers) advertised anywhere. Although the last time I looked was like 6 months ago. I'm sure the stands are more widely available now.

(To clarify, the Creative Inspire 5300 is a 5.1 speaker set and the Inspire 4400 is a 4.1 set. Since TommyBoy mentioned the Creative 4.1 setup)

Hope that helps

-BT
Old 04-17-02, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go with the creative.
Old 04-17-02, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by BT

The only thing with the Creatives is that I haven't seen speaker stands (for the rear speakers) advertised anywhere. Although the last time I looked was like 6 months ago. I'm sure the stands are more widely available now.

-BT
Creative Speaker stands: http://www.americas.creative.com/pro...maincategory=3
Old 04-18-02, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by btornado

Creative Speaker stands: http://www.americas.creative.com/pro...maincategory=3

Considering that's more than I'm paying for the speakers themselves, where can they be found for less?