Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Photoshop help please

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Photoshop help please

Old 04-15-02, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Photoshop help please

OK, the pic below is my band's logo. I was printing up some window clings, which came out really cool, but...is there a way I can do the reverse negative WITHOUT getting the black background? The regular clings have a clear background with the pic in black. The reverse negative ones have the pic in white, but the background is black. The black ones are OK on our black guitars, but we have other colors too, so I basically want a clear background with the white skull...can this be done?? ...and how?

Old 04-15-02, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think this is what you want, but it's just a rush job.

Old 04-15-02, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That printed pretty good, thanks. Did you just use the 'eraser' tool? I was going to try that, but I was looking for a tool that just automatically did it since there was so much detail. No such thing, huh?
Old 04-15-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dvdsteve2000
That printed pretty good, thanks. Did you just use the 'eraser' tool? I was going to try that, but I was looking for a tool that just automatically did it since there was so much detail. No such thing, huh?
Hell no! The magic wand is your friend! I had to promote the top black portion of the skull to its own layer so it wouldn't get deleted by the magic wand.
Old 04-15-02, 10:06 PM

Using the magic wand tool, select the black that you want to remove. You can select a little bit, and then choose "grow" under the select menu (I think). Hold down the shift key and keep clicking in the black that you want to remove. Holding down the shift key adds to your selection.

When you have all the black selected that you want to delete, select "feather" under the select menu and make it 1 or 2 pixels. Hit OK and then delete. This will soften the edges so it isn't so bitmappy/pixelated.

Hope this helps! Nice logo, btw.
Old 04-15-02, 10:58 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I didnt see the original but is there a reason you couldnt of just done an "invert" under the "image>adjust" in photoshop?
Old 04-15-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

\m/
Old 04-15-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Aghama
\m/
Thank you!
Old 04-16-02, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Save Ferris
I didnt see the original but is there a reason you couldnt of just done an "invert" under the "image>adjust" in photoshop?
That's what I was thinking. Might have worked a bit better.

nevermind... I see it now. the original has a white background, they need the inverse, but still with a white background.

Your best bet is to use Photoshop to knock out ALL the black on the inverse picture, leaving you with white and "transparent". It won't look like much as an image, and if your printer can't print white, you're screwed (actually, if your printer can't print white, what you want done is pretty much impossible). However, this will give you the effect you're looking for. I can do this for you if you will just verify that your printer can print white first.

Very cool logo, btw.

Last edited by einTier; 04-16-02 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-16-02, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, thanks guys. As far as white printing, I'm not sure. When I printed the inverted, it came out just like the above pic, so I believe I can print white(??).

Just to make sure everyone understands exactly what I'm trying to do, and remember, these are transparent 'window clings':

Regular image=transparent w/black pic. Good on light objects and glass.

Inverted image=black background w/white pic. Good on all black objects, but if the object isn't black, then you end up with a black square with a white pic. I'm trying to eliminate the black block from around the inverted image.

What exactly was /m\?
Old 04-16-02, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I figured, if you can do what I'm asking, the pic would basically be almost invisible until it was printed on transparent paper...white image on white background...correct??
Old 04-16-02, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I figured, if you can do what I'm asking, the pic would basically be almost invisible until it was printed on transparent paper...white image on white background...correct??
It would be almost invisible until you applied it to something with a dark color. Think of it like this. Look at the inverse image. Looks great on your black guitars. It looks like you just drew the image on there in white. What you want is basically a custom match for any color you put it on. You put it on a red guitar, you want the image to be red and white. You put on a blue guitar, blue and white. You get the picture. The only problem is that color matching is difficult and each sticker would have to be one of a kind. So, the easiest way to match is to have it transparent. To get the effect you want, everything in that inverse image that is black has got to go. Photoshop can do this easily, and I'd do it right now except I don't have Photoshop installed on this machine. What you'll be left with is Photoshop's transparent background (the grey/white checkerboard) and some white lines you'll barely be able to see. If you drop a layer behind it and change the color of that layer, you'll be able to see the white better, but you won't be able to see well otherwise.

Now that you have the white/transparent image, you have two more problems. You can't just save this image as a .jpg, and print that, because the JPEG format has no way to display transparency. GIF would be fine, and the PSD format would be best. The other problem is that your printer may or may not print white. If it's just a normal HP Deskjet or a laser printer, it won't print white without a special cartridge (I just had a very bright idea, skip to the end to see what it is), because it just treats white as transparent, as it assumes you'll always print on white paper. Professional printers make no such assumptions, because there are many times when you might want to actually print white. If you can print a white image on black paper, you can do the above image.

Now, what was the easy way I just came up with? You'll love me for this if you can find the correct cartridge for your printer. I found some white ink cartridges, but I doubt they are for your printer. You'll need to find one for your printer that can replace the black cartridge. Now, assuming that you've printed the original black on white logo on a transparancy and it work fine, if you replace your black cartridge with a white one and just print that image normally, you'll have your white on transparancy image you need. Simple, but finding the cartridge may not be. You won't find it at Office Depot, you'll have to go to a professional printer supply house.
Old 04-16-02, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by einTier
Photoshop can do this easily, and I'd do it right now except I don't have Photoshop installed on this machine. What you'll be left with is Photoshop's transparent background (the grey/white checkerboard) and some white lines you'll barely be able to see. If you drop a layer behind it and change the color of that layer, you'll be able to see the white better, but you won't be able to see well otherwise.
That's exactly what I'm looking for. How can I go about doing this? I have Photoshop, but I'm VERY new to using it.
Old 04-16-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What exactly was /m\?
The world may never know.
Old 04-16-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

country western band, eh steve??

cranky.
Old 04-16-02, 08:44 PM

What exactly was /m\?
I believe that was \m/, which I'm guessing is supposed to be the "Devil's Horns" gesture you make with your hand while headbanging
Old 04-17-02, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by crankyman
country western band, eh steve??

cranky.
LOL, Ummm, yeah, that's it... \m/