Reload this Page >

Wireless Connections - Laptop to Desktop

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-15-02, 06:40 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Want to connect my laptop PC with my desktop PC via wireless system. We had an AT&T Anypoint system but sometimes the laptop is not within reach of a telephone outlet. That system needed two of the same type senders/receivers.

Went to Staples today. Saw a new Anypoint system with a sender unit and a PC card for the laptop. The salesman said that I would need two of the sender-type units and one of the laptop PC card (coming to over $300). A young man buying something in the same isle waited until the salesman left and asked what we wanted to do. Told him and he said all we needed was the one sending unit to attach to the desktop and the PC card for the laptop. He seemed to know what he was talking about.

Does anyone agree with either one of these people?

Thanks in advance for assistance.
Old 04-16-02, 03:00 AM

Not familiar with the Anypoints but sounds like the Staples guy didn't know what he was talking about. You only need one transceiver unit for each computer. What's that second "sender-type unit" supposed to connect to?

Mayniac
Old 04-16-02, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm not sure what your specific setup is, but i'm guessing that the sales guy was thinking you would be setting up a network, so one card on each computer, plus a router/hub between them. (it sounds like the old anypoint system was a phone wiring network and the new one is wireless?)

if you have a broadband connection, setting up the network as the sales guy said would make a bit of sense but as mayniac said, is not really necessary because you could run a proxy server from the desktop. (but the desktop would need to be on anytime you want to access the network or internet on the laptop).

in any case--keep looking and consider other brands/technologies. you can probably do better and get a lower price than what they had at staples.
Old 04-16-02, 09:07 AM
Cool New Member

The Staples guy was trying to sell me three pieces of equipment - a card to be put into the desktop; a transceiver; and a pc card for the laptop. Couldn't understand why I needed the card for the desktop - when using the old Intel wired system, I just had the two transceivers connected. (Couldn't think of the word "transceiver" last nite).

Did find the pc card at Outpost last nite (Anypoint) for $69.00 as opposed to $99.00 at Staples. Could not find the transceiver at their site so sent them an email requesting price. Also, Nerds.com sent me an email this morning that listed both pieces of equipment (transceiver & PC card) byD-Links for under $160.00.
Amazingly, it was just an info email for all types of computer equipment - just happened to have the wireless stuff listed.

Thanks for helping, guys - sometimes an "old" man can't think of all the right words to describe "things" in this modern world - but I'm learning!