Reload this Page >

I need help with building a computer

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-15-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend got a new computer case, MoBo, CPU (the $199 deal from outpost)

We have questions on Jumpers, and IDE channels and some other simple things

Is there a good site out there to tell us how to do the basic assembly and jumper settings?

He has a Soyo Mobo and an Athalon CPU

We are hooking up a HD and a CD ROM.

Now, I would assume that the HD goes on the Primary IDE, and the CD-ROM goes on the Secondary IDE

(no other CD drives or Zip or anything like that)

HD = maxtor HD 40gb 7200 rpm ata 133

CD = 17X minimum/40x maximum IDE cd rom (orignally from a gateway comp, not sure of brand

Now, how do we set the jumpers for these and WHICH spot do they go on the IDE cables? That is our immideate concern. Thanks!
Old 04-15-02, 03:45 PM

Hiya!
Now, I would assume that the HD goes on the Primary IDE, and the CD-ROM goes on the Secondary IDE
That is correct. If you were to add a second HD in the future, it would go on the secondary IDE as a Slave (Be sure to set the HD as a master on IDE 1 via the jumper on the rear of the drive - the same goes for the CD-ROM drive on Primary IDE 2).
Now, how do we set the jumpers for these and WHICH spot do they go on the IDE cables? That is our immideate concern. Thanks!
The jumpers are on the rear of the drives, and chences are the HD Manual can tell you how to set the jumper. On the rear of the CD-ROM it should have the jumper already in place, and since it was from a Gateway I would assume it is probably set as a master already (but check, as most drives have a little "image" sticker there to denote which position is which). As for IDE cable placement, One end goes onto Primary and Secondary IDE ports on the MoBo - the drives should be connected to the OTHER end of each cable, NOT the port in the middle. These are your "master" ends. Some drives let you set them as "cable select" so it will default to master/slave based on calbe placement, but in my experience it is always better to clearly set them as either master or slave ans connect them accordingly.

In looking for a site to help you with MoBo jumpers, I'm not really sure - that's the one area I haven't really dealt with yet (stilll haven't built my hobby PC, but I'm getting there). I believe if you do a search on Google you'll come up with many resourceful sites. (although I'm sure someone else can chime in here and point you in a better direction than me). If the MoBo you have is jumperless (as I believe some AMD boards are) you may night have to set any jumpers.

Good luck man - long time to talk! If I can be of any more help, you know where to find me LOL.
Old 04-15-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dvddude23

In looking for a site to help you with MoBo jumpers, I'm not really sure - that's the one area I haven't really dealt with yet (stilll haven't built my hobby PC, but I'm getting there). I believe if you do a search on Google you'll come up with many resourceful sites. (although I'm sure someone else can chime in here and point you in a better direction than me). If the MoBo you have is jumperless (as I believe some AMD boards are) you may night have to set any jumpers.

Good luck man - long time to talk! If I can be of any more help, you know where to find me LOL.
Hey pal!

Long time not talk!! Thanks for chiming in

So, I use the ENDS of each cable and hook one into the HD and the other cable end into the CD ROM drive

I set the jumpers on the HD -AND- The CD ROM to master. Both of them right?

Then I should be all set to go?

What were the jumpers on the MoBo you were talking about? I didn't know I would have to mess with that at all

Cheers! and great hearing from you again!
Old 04-15-02, 04:22 PM

So, I use the ENDS of each cable and hook one into the HD and the other cable end into the CD ROM drive

I set the jumpers on the HD -AND- The CD ROM to master. Both of them right?

Then I should be all set to go?
You are correct sir. You leave the middle port on each cable free for a second drive/zip drive/cd-rw, etc. The ends are always masters, the mids are slaves.
What were the jumpers on the MoBo you were talking about? I didn't know I would have to mess with that at all
On some MoBos you still have to "cpnfigure" it - it is rare. Most boards are jumperless these days. I thought you were also asking about jumpers on the board as well as the drives. I would think that if your AMD board's manual doesn't mention changing jumpers, you shouldn't have to worry about it. The manual should also be fairly descriptive as to installing it in a case, installing AGP/PCI boards, RAM, cables, etc. Unless it specifically mentions configuring jumpers on the MoBo, don't concern yourself with it

Good luck, and let me know how it goes. I was gonna jump on that very same deal when I saw it, but my cash is somewhat tied up at the moment (and the damn IRS refund check still hasn't come through!!)
Old 04-15-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Go to Arstechnica.com for lots of help on building a PC. That's what I used.
Old 04-15-02, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks again DVDDude!!!

Thanks for the link Alvis !

Cheers all!