Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Power supply bad??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Power supply bad??

Old 04-15-02, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power supply bad??

I have a 350 watt power supply that I wanted to test by hooking up an Enermax cooling fan to it. I know the fan works. It was pulled from a working system.

However, when I hook the fan up to any of the 4-pin connectors and turn the switch on the power supply to 'ON', nothing happens. Is the power supply bad? Can I not test it this way?

I know I could always hook the supply up to the current working system and test it this way, but I wanted to avoid this time-consuming process.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-02, 03:21 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

edit: (my theory was completely off the mark, but thanks to X I learned something new today )

-BT

Last edited by BT; 04-16-02 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-15-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it's an ATX power supply, it actually won't turn on unless it's plugged into a motherboard. I believe there's a way to trick it to turn on by shorting a couple pins, but I've always had a spare board lying around to test with, so I've never had to try it.

I don't remember which pins it was, so you'll have to look on the web to find it. Even then, I don't know that I'd recommend anyone actually do it. If you make a mistake, you could easily destroy the power supply and maybe get yourself hurt in the process.
Old 04-15-02, 06:00 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
All the AT and ATX power supplies I've seen require a certain power draw or they'll just shut themselves down within a second or less. You might see the power supply's fan just start to spin up and then stop abruptly. If that's the case you need to stick something more substantial than a fan on it, try a hard drive. At least that worked for the AT type, I haven't tried it with an ATX.
Old 04-16-02, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

X, I hooked an old hard-drive up to the power supply and she fired right up. You were right about the fan not drawing enough power.