Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about WinXP and Reformatting HD

Old 04-15-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about WinXP and Reformatting HD

Ok

I have WinXP Home edition. My HD's are formatted in NTSF format

I have a lot of crap building up on them, I want to FORMAT the HD's, and then IMAGE them using "PowerQuest Drive Image"

Now for my question. I activated WinXP already (obviously). If I format the HD entirely and then REINSTALL WinXP, what kind of "activation" problems am I going to run into?

My hardware is exactly the same as when I ativated it before. (I may have changed the video card, but I am not sure at what point i did that)

Can I just format the drives, reinstall WinXP Home edition, and then activate it with out MS thinking someone else is trying to use my copy?

Cheers!
Old 04-15-02, 03:53 PM

You should've gotten a copy that didn't require any activation like I did

Anyway, as far as I know, the whole activation profile is based on your hardware/software settings. Worse case, it might ask you you call MS and get a new activation key, but I believe you are allowed 2 or three reinstalls before this (don't quote me on that though - as I said, I never had to deal with activation ).

Also, if you are that concerned about clutter, have you considered using a program to remove your apps and then just defragging the drive? XP's uninstall/reinstall feature is vastly improved over 98SE and prior, but it can still leave fragments of proggies around. I use Cleansweep by Symantec, and then run Speed Disk (which is a much better HD defragger than the Windows Defrag command) and it picks up everything. Then again I am under a FAT32 file system, so I am not sure if being NTFS makes a difference or not, but I don't think it does.
Old 04-15-02, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the tip-

and rub it in why don't ya?
Old 04-16-02, 10:22 AM

dvddude23,

How do you get a copy of XP that does not require activation?

Mike
Old 04-16-02, 11:16 AM

How do you get a copy of XP that does not require activation?
My copy is a "special" copy - w/o getting too detailed (as it's probably against board policies), let's just say that you wouldn't be able to buy my version in a retail store