Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Convert VHS to DVD

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Convert VHS to DVD

Old 04-14-02, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convert VHS to DVD

I'm sure this is easy for most of you, but what hardware (other than necessary TV/VCR/PC/DVD Burner) is recommended to capture VHS tapes to PC, then burn to DVD for viewing in DVD player?

Sorry to sound stupid, but just wanted the cheapest route possible to capture the following:

1.) VHS to PC - Should this be done with an ATI "All in Wonder card"?
2.) If so or other recommendation, is it in MPEG-2 format?
3.) Once on the hard drive, what special steps do I need to do to encode this to a DVD other than burn it to the DVD-RW?
4.) Any other pointers?

If someone can help me on this, I'm forever grateful!!
Old 04-14-02, 06:05 PM

SORRY - FORGOT TO POST OS

Running HP Vectra - NT WS 4.0, SP5, 512MB RAM - Currently, only Plextor CD-RW drive internal attached.

Sorry for not posting earlier.

DG
Old 04-14-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got an All-In-Wonder and I've captured VHS to my hard drive quite easily - you just set the TV application to the "Composite" input and easily capture whatever you need. I'm not sure how I could check which format it's stored in, but it is MPEG format.

As for burning the MPEG to DVD, there's quite a few ways to do it:
http://www.vcdhelp.com/burnmpg.htm

Go down to the MPEG -> DVD section. Here's the way to do it with Nero:
http://www.vcdhelp.com/nerodvd.htm

I'm sure you'll find quite a lot of information at VCD Help.com

As for your question about what to do once you have it on the hard drive, you'd probably want to cut it up using what ever software you have into chapters or whatever and then burn it to the DVD. I'm not sure what software you're going to use to author the DVD, nor do I have any experience with any of those programs - good luck.

P.S. - Welcome!
Old 04-14-02, 10:17 PM

You can use the ATI all in wonder card to capture video/stereo sound directly into your PC. You can also set up the capture data rate any way you want. Better quality takes up much more space.

To make it easy to burn onto VCD so that you can play the images back on most dvd players/computers you will want to capture in VCD or SVCD compliant format. If you capture using a custom setting you will have to re-encode the video to burn onto the VCD.

Burning depends on your software. Nero is by far the most popular and it will encode video before the burn process if it is not in a compliant format.

-K
Old 04-15-02, 12:37 AM

Wanted to add questions to this thread:

I have a new pc, so I don't want to buy a new video card. I am interested in transferring and editing 8mm video from my camcorder. I have seen some video capture devices for anywhere from 69 - 100 dollars and wondered about the ability of these. Any advice on video capture devices other than a new video card?
Old 04-15-02, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Convert VHS to DVD

Originally posted by dgenovese
I'm sure this is easy for most of you, but what hardware (other than necessary TV/VCR/PC/DVD Burner) is recommended to capture VHS tapes to PC, then burn to DVD for viewing in DVD player?

Sorry to sound stupid, but just wanted the cheapest route possible to capture the following:

1.) VHS to PC - Should this be done with an ATI "All in Wonder card"?
2.) If so or other recommendation, is it in MPEG-2 format?
3.) Once on the hard drive, what special steps do I need to do to encode this to a DVD other than burn it to the DVD-RW?
4.) Any other pointers?

If someone can help me on this, I'm forever grateful!!
Your main problem immediately is going to be your OS. NT4 isn't a very multi-media friendly OS and so not a lot of consumer level capture cards ever had drivers for it. And even if you can find a board that has NT drivers, you should really make sure that they're solid and fully support all features of the card.

If you can switch to Win2K or WinXP, that would increase your options greatly. For example, most of the products on this videoguys page appear capable of doing what you need. BTW, they sell this stuff, but videoguys also have some really good FAQs and guides on desktop video in general. And the last time I bought from these guys, they had great service, but that was about 5 years ago.

Anyway, the newer ATi AIW cards (7500 & 8500) don't appear to support NT. I owned an older version of these boards and toyed with the newer versions. I'd say that they are capable of what you want to do, but unless you're short on PCI slots, I wouldn't consider them the best choice, especially if you don't have a very fast CPU. They rely on the CPU to compress the video, so on older systems, you may be forced to capture at lower resolutions to avoid dropped frames.

I would get an add-in PCI card solution. One thing I'd look for was a board that offered realtime hardware MPEG2 compression. Next, I'd make sure that its drivers for my OS were solid. Then ideally, it would offer a software bundle that allowed me to do pretty much everything I'd need out of the box. That is, it should have a basic editing application as well as a basic authoring/burning application.

Finally, I'd look at the cards themselves. Some of them have all their AV I/O connections on the back of the card. Others have a break-out box that attaches to the back of the card via a long cable. Personally, I'd choose the latter unless I can leave my deck permanently attached to the capture card. Reaching back behind the PC to attach/detach the video source on a regular basis gets to be a pain, so if you expect to be doing that often, having a break-out box on the desk can make it much easier.