Reload this Page >

What exactly is a cd mp3 player?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-14-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this mean I can play mp3's burned as cda files (which I guess would be the standard) or does it mean it will play mp3s burned as mp3s (which would fit like probably 150 songs per cd). Also do these things play cd-rws as well, or does it vary by model? And what's a good price for the ones that play mp3s as mp3s. I see them for like 50 bucks on ebay, but I think that is the wrong ones.....any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-14-02, 12:50 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't tried one, but I believe it is a player that can play CDs with mp3 files burned on it rather than having to have the files first converted to cda as a regular player would require. Kind of like a mini computer or one of the RIO type devices but it can read off a CD.

I wonder how many times you have to change the batteries before you would play a whole 700 MB CD filled with mp3s?
Old 04-14-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a CD/MP3 player with car kit. Not sure how long the batteries last, but it can play MP3s that you burn to CD. I can fit about 10 - 12 hours of music on one CD. The only problem I found was that when I start it up again, it starts back from the first track (when you have 10 hours of music, it takes a while to get back to where you left off at). I usually put it on shuffle, but the Memorex CD/MP3 player I have doesn't have too great of a shuffle on it (uses the same pattern to shuffle it), so I end up fast fowarding a little anyway, but it's great for long car trips.
Old 04-14-02, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: What exactly is a cd mp3 player?

Originally posted by tygloalex
Does this mean I can play mp3's burned as cda files (which I guess would be the standard) or does it mean it will play mp3s burned as mp3s (which would fit like probably 150 songs per cd). Also do these things play cd-rws as well, or does it vary by model? And what's a good price for the ones that play mp3s as mp3s. I see them for like 50 bucks on ebay, but I think that is the wrong ones.....any help would be appreciated.
yes, you can play mp3s, as many as you can fit on a cd. i'm not sure about cd-rw, but i'd assume it varies by model. i dunno what a good price is, but i got one almost 2 years ago for $120. the one i have is the cheap one that's selling for $50 or so on eBay now...it was one of the first to come out. i wouldn't suggest buying it because it's not very durable and drains batteries like a mofo.
Old 04-14-02, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
what he said, including the brand of player
I have the memorex and it works pretty well

Originally posted by Lampei
I have a CD/MP3 player with car kit. Not sure how long the batteries last, but it can play MP3s that you burn to CD. I can fit about 10 - 12 hours of music on one CD. The only problem I found was that when I start it up again, it starts back from the first track (when you have 10 hours of music, it takes a while to get back to where you left off at). I usually put it on shuffle, but the Memorex CD/MP3 player I have doesn't have too great of a shuffle on it (uses the same pattern to shuffle it), so I end up fast fowarding a little anyway, but it's great for long car trips.
Old 04-14-02, 10:28 PM

I had one of the portable mp3 players with the tape deck converter and it sounded like total crap. I picked up the KOSS head unit that can play burned mp3 directly from a cd-r data disk. It works nicely. It won't impress any audiophiles but it is superior to any factory installed tape deck. MP3 playback is excellent, it doesnt skip or fail to read any tracks. I have most of my music collection on about 3 mp3 disks, about 160 songs per disk. You can burn them all alphabetically making it easier to skip to whatever track you want. The koss unit has an MP3 track selector that lets you input a 3 digit number using 10 of the front panel buttons as 0-9. Some serve a dual purpose so you really have to look to find the 7,8,9,0 numbers. It also has a random play feature that will skip around the entire disk, and a preview mode that plays about the first 5 seconds of each song.

Its very nice but there are 2 things I dislike about the unit. It has a mechanical flip down face that you have to put down in order to insert a cd, and when playing mp3 it does not remember the exact point of the song when you turn the car off. If its halfway through a song when you park the song starts from the beginning once you start the car. Minor things, it really is an impressive player.

-K
Old 04-15-02, 12:04 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I own an iRiver Slim-X:

Super slim design 2/3" thick. It plays mp3s burned on CDs as mp3 files. It also supports wma and asf formats, and winamp music list. It plays regular audio CDs as well as CD-R and CD-RW discs. It reads ID3 tags as well as audio CD text. It's got a built in FM tuner. Multi function remote with display. Resume, shuffle, program modes. 8 minute anti-shock. Click on the link below for more info:

http://www.iriveramerica.com

Price is $179.
Old 04-15-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by namja
I own an iRiver Slim-X:

that's pretty nice namja...i might get one when my POS dies.