Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Roadrunner to charge for exceeding bandwidth limits?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-14-02, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any truth to this rumor found on Blubster?

"Time Warner has dropped the other metaphorical shoe on what will surely be a factor in limiting p2p; Metered Bandwidth for all RoadRunner users. That’s right, starting sometime later this year the AOL-Time Warner Empire will start charging users who go over a specified bandwidth limit. If your using any kind of p2p program and are use to leaving it on overnight, you could be in for a staggering bill at the end on the month.

Essentially, this is the end of p2p on the RoadRunner network unless you are willing to pay vast sums of money to support your habit. Considering the large number of people who are RoadRunner customers and use p2p, this will be a major blow to Gnutella, Fasttrack and several other allready struggling communities out there as RoadRunner users are forced by economic necessity to remove themselves from these networks. The dark ages of the internet are fast approaching. "
Old 04-14-02, 11:17 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder what they'll consider excessive bandwidth. I used to grab around 1GB a day from newsgroups, and I'm uploading at my full 15K/sec nearly 24/7. Roadrunner is starting here soon which made me happy because the area I can live in and still have a high speed connection will widen considerably. But if they pull this crap, I'm more than happy to stay with DSL. Don't offer speeds you can't deliver on. I'm paying for 768Kbps Down/128Kbps Up now, and I expect to be able to use it.
Old 04-14-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

taken from dslreports:

It is these two clauses from the TW Cable Modem Service Subscription Agreement that some of us believe mean TW will be imposing these limits on all ISP's on their cable as well as what the article stated. The only RR subscribers not affected by this agreement are those where multiple ISP's have not yet been introduced.

c) Subscriber acknowledges and agrees that Operator and ISP shall each have the right to monitor Subscriber=s "bandwidth consumption" (i.e. aggregate volume of data that may be sent or received) at any time and on an on-going basis, and to limit excessive bandwidth consumption by Subscriber (as determined by Operator and/or ISP) by any means available to Operator or ISP, including suspension or termination of ISP Service.

(d) Operator reserves the right to implement specific limits on the maximum amount of bandwidth consumption available to Subscriber per month for the level of ISP Service subscribed for by Subscriber. Once such limits are implemented, if Subscriber exceeds the bandwidth consumption limits assigned to the level of ISP Service for which Subscriber has subscribed in any month, Operator (or ISP if ISP is billing Subscriber for ISP Service) has the right to limit bandwidth consumption by Subscriber in excess of such level by any means available to Operator or ISP, including suspension of ISP Service, and/or to impose additional fees and charges on Subscriber.
»help.twcable.com/html/policies.html[?]

If this is implemented it will probably include an upload limit as well as download
Old 04-14-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hopefully, this won't happen to begin with, but even if it does, it probably won't be ridiculous, like maybe limiting transfers to a gig a day or something, which is maintainable. Otherwise, road runner can kiss my butt and i'll go to dsl if i have to.
Btw: I've given up running a mirc bot, though i transferred about 3 gigs a day without problem. My downloads aren't too bad, probably less than 100 megs a day, unless it's friday
Old 04-14-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh dear.... Adelphia better not copy that!!
Old 04-14-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hopefully it's not too outrageous - like 300 megs a day or something...but I read this on /. so it's probably going to happen at one point. According to my logs, I do about 500 megs of transfer a day with my server, and about 100-200 megs a day with the other 2 computers on the home network. I can see them imposing limits for those "outrageous" consumers, but if it's anything less than a gig a day, that'd really suck. Also sucks because even if I move out of my apartment in San Diego, back to home in Orange, I'm still stuck with Time Warner.

Wonder what happens if you barely ever use your connection - my friend who has Road Runner probably doesn't even do 20 megs of transfers a day - think he'll get a discount? HELL NO! Just another way to make money for my most hated company AOL Time Warner.
Old 04-14-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is not good news, I don't have Roadrunner now, my cable modem is through Insight (after @Home went bust)....but in a few months I'm moving up to Indianapolis, and Roadrunner is the cable modem service there...arrrggh
Old 04-14-02, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

damn, i just switched to Earthlink Cable (through Time Warner.)
Old 04-14-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like AT&T and Comcast are moving towards a tiered system as well.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/16784

For now I have DSL and Comcast is just starting cable modem service in my area. I'll probably wait for the dust to settle to see if I should try switching over or not.
Old 04-14-02, 07:55 PM
omi

I was wondering if I would get charged if I download from the news-server and not from outside sources?
Old 04-20-02, 02:03 PM

Looks like the plan is regional for now. This might be bad new down the road for all RR users.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/8665

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/16670
Old 04-20-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is a dumb idea the reason why people get this is they can download things, and play games excessively. I don't pay 50 a month for DSL so I can browse the web fast.
Old 04-21-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Please don't forget perspective here.

More and more people are ripping off AOL Time Warner, Comcast, Adelphia, AT&T, Cox, and others by using wireless 802.11b to give or re-sell the access. Or they run a LAN tap to other people in the same apt building to split the cost of the internet connection. So you end up with one connection serving multiple households.

It wasn't that long ago that some sorority girl posted a request for help on dvdTalk about doing just this for her Sorority House. Their intent was to pay for just ONE internet connection and have its fast bandwidth serve the whole sorority house.

Bandwdth sharing occurs even in my neighborhood.

Bandwidth sharing is occurring for free anonymously and you might even try to connect your wireless 802.11b node up to your community "freenet". More info on this and links to one in your neighborhood at www.seattlewireless.net .

Short of capping bandwidth, the ISP would have to put a trojan/virus on your machine to watch you. Since there is no money to be gained doing that, it is easier to "tier" the service so that it resembles the cellphone tiered services (more profit).

Perhaps one day, you will see internet access plans of 1000 hours per month for $50.... just like a cellphone.
Old 02-14-09, 11:32 AM

Re: Roadrunner to charge for exceeding bandwidth limits?

It is only a thought, but, if the ISPs start charging for bandwidth use, we should all band together and drop subscriptions for a few months. Maybe they will get the message.

The ISPs make their money from the advertisers. In turn we go to a variety of sites to view material or buy something like from Amazon, Ebay, shopping.com, best buy, etc. When the sales start going down, especially in this recession, and the site hosts start receiving less traffic. the ISPs will smarten up and give us our bandwidth for the already to high price we now pay. What other way can we send the message?

For you heavy downloaders, it will be a disaster. File sharing will virtually disappear. The big news sites will also receive less traffic and advertising like msnbc, cnn, cnet, fox, cnbc, the stock trading sites, winopedia and more. While the ISPs are trying to get more money out of you, we are merely trying to keep our jobs and survive the mess we are in. The internet should be a free open forum for the whole world to share.

Just some thoughts.
Old 02-14-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by riverrunner View Post
It is only a thought, but, if the ISPs start charging for bandwidth use, we should all band together and drop subscriptions for a few months. Maybe they will get the message.

The ISPs make their money from the advertisers. In turn we go to a variety of sites to view material or buy something like from Amazon, Ebay, shopping.com, best buy, etc. When the sales start going down, especially in this recession, and the site hosts start receiving less traffic. the ISPs will smarten up and give us our bandwidth for the already to high price we now pay. What other way can we send the message?

For you heavy downloaders, it will be a disaster. File sharing will virtually disappear. The big news sites will also receive less traffic and advertising like msnbc, cnn, cnet, fox, cnbc, the stock trading sites, winopedia and more. While the ISPs are trying to get more money out of you, we are merely trying to keep our jobs and survive the mess we are in. The internet should be a free open forum for the whole world to share.

Just some thoughts.

the 95% of us who use less than 20% of the available bandwidth won't care
Old 02-14-09, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in the middle. Web browsing and HTML emails some days, couple hundred megs of legal MP3s other days, 1.5-3GB game demos other days.
What I'll hate is if they decide to do a daily cap, of course you'll pay more on the days you use it, but won't save those light days, unless they roll over your available balance. So of course I would do my best to download just under the limit every day to get my money's worth....which could backfire on them. Your light users wouldn't care, your heavy users would shift their load and try to maximize it. Especially since lots of them have an "oh yeah? take this!" type attitude.
Old 02-15-09, 08:18 AM

Al,

You make a good point but the middle ground is hard to find. In the end, commercial sites could suffer. With many watching everything they spend these days broadband and things like HBO could be cut out of budgets to survive.

Having said that, I think they could up with a better plan. The multi effect will be more than they planned for if consumption is placed on the table.

If you remember when cell phones first came out, subscriptions were by the minute. Today they offer huge packages which consumers view as getting more for their money. But when it comes down to it, all the cell companies really did is raise the cost per minute price, especially when you factor in the unused minutes and the lost minutes every month after the one year period. So there are no quick solutions. Jumping into broadband consumption at this time may have more of a castatrophic effect than the ISPs planned on.

I still believe the users should stick together in voicing our view so that we receive a "fairer" deal from Comcast, Charter, Att, and others.
Old 02-15-09, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the limits that comcast is using are so high that only the people that leave their p2p on 24x7 will be charged extra. the 95% of us who surf the web and download 20GB or so a month won't care
Old 02-17-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought they finally were going to charge. I got nervous for a second there

By the way, great 7 year thread bump.
Old 02-18-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The "freedom" that so many of you all have online when downloading something to try it out comes from having people who quite possibly are in that 5% demographic that Al Bundy dismisses as being inconsequential. Unfortunately the huge complacent masses may very well make the ISPs implement the "sliding slope" for bandwidth caps and throttling without fear of losing a significant number of subscribers.
Old 02-23-09, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We pay about 54 bucks a month for 12,000 down and 1000 up. I could handle slower download speeds (the 6,000 is 10 bucks cheaper) but it'd make the upload speed 512.

I really want FIOS but it's not available here. In fact, Verizon only offers 1,500 here
Old 02-23-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love my 10/2 FIOS. I can't imagine what the 50/20 service is like Wouldn't be worth it to get that speed if they imposed limits as well, though.

BTW, this was a hell of a thread bump.