Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD on LAN ?!

Old 04-14-02, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD on LAN ?!

Does anybody know how to play dvd movie by using dvd-rom on other pc via ethernet LAN ?
i tried sharing the dvdrom and play the .VOB dvd files from remote PC and it doesnt work.

i heard there is this software called "videoLAN" broadcast dvd movies to client pcs, but the server part must be installed on Linux, mine is win2k, and i'm not planning to install linux......

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-14-02, 12:56 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to DVD Talk! Interesting first post.

I've looked at that software too but it seemed too much trouble.

What I have had the most success at is ripping the DVD into an ISO image with DVDDecrypter and then using Daemon Tools to map the network directory/ISO file to look like it is a local CD drive. Works very well, you just need lots of storage.
Old 04-14-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

it would work...i've played vob files through the lan. just extract the vobs to the hd. then use powerdvd(or another dvd software) and it should play fine. you'd probably need a 100mbps lan to get smooth playback, though. i've been able to do so with a 10 mpbs, but it's slow.
Old 04-14-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

oh yeah...
Old 04-14-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i use a program called decess to extract the vobs to my hd. if you want it, send me an e-mail.

p.s. i don't know the legality of this program, which is why i'm not posting it here. what's the official call, X?
Old 04-14-02, 07:19 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by D. Pham
i use a program called decess to extract the vobs to my hd. if you want it, send me an e-mail.

p.s. i don't know the legality of this program, which is why i'm not posting it here. what's the official call, X?
The first official call is for you not to try to pad here. I think you know what I mean.

Second, I think we should wait to see what else cocaboy needs to know.
Old 04-14-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's also a great program called Virtual CD that can rip entire CDs or DVDs to your hard drive for future playback, but I'm unaware of the capabilities of sending those "virtual dvds" over a LAN. What I'd suggest is the same as X or D, just use a tool from www.vcdhelp.com - there's quite a few that will help you rip your DVDs to the hard drive for personal use.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out - could be an interesting application of the LAN. But at about 4-6 gigs per DVD, could be pretty space consuming and I don't have my terabyte network server up and running yet.
Old 04-15-02, 04:43 AM

I would like to say thanks for suggestions from all of you.

Well, actually i know its working by using the "rip" way, but the problem is i dont have that much space on my notebook Hdd (its only 10 gigs, only few gigs left now).

just now i tried to install remote desktop administrating software, it works fine for common desktop admin, but dvd playback --- failed.

maybe i should try using PCMCIA card with VideoIn to capture video output from server's pc video output, not sure if its going to work or not.