Reload this Page >

How do I figure out...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How do I figure out...

Old 04-14-02, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How do I figure out ...

...what programs are running in the background, and which ones I can shut down?

I have an old PC running Windows 95. When I hit ctrl-alt-del a buncof programs appear in the dialog box, but some of them are undecipherable to me. How do I figure out what thes programs are and how do I permanently stop the ones that I don't need running in the background?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I don't get out of Other much, so I'm feeling a little insecure posting here. Be nice to me.

Last edited by LurkerDan; 04-14-02 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-14-02, 01:56 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hows about you list some of the ones you are unsure of, and we will see what we can do for you.
Old 04-14-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's some of them. I know what "Realplay" is, of course, but how did it get to be in my automatically run programs? Does it have to be to run well (I don't use it very often). I also know some of these are Norton programs; it may be old, but it's the only anti-virus protection I go, so I guess I want to keep it. Some of this, though, is crappy stuff that Compaq preloads on the computer (I know BackWeb is for example).

cpqeaui
Bttnserv
Realplay
Osa
Point32
Armon32
Systray
Navapw32
Nsched32
Watchdog
Tsadbot
BackWeb Agent
Old 04-14-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you press CTRL-ALT-DEL in Win9x, you see a window that shows only SOME of the proggies running. The ones you see are those that have not suppressed their ability to be seen. Spyware usually suppresses itself since it doesn't want you to stop them from running. In your case, TSADBOT is a spyware program that phones home various data on you (undesirable). Realnetworks is also a spyware company and very strong RIAA supporter ( http://grc.com/downloaders.htm ).

In the display of programs after you press CTRL-ALT-DEL, the two most basic proggies you do NOT want to stop are SYSTRAY and EXPLORER as they belong to the operating system. If you look at the system tray in the lower right, you will see a number of icons whose names probably correspond to proggie names. You may see a realplayer icon there that corresponds to the realplay proggie in the listing for example. If you right click on some of the icons in the systray, you can sometimes get an option to exit or stop them from running. As you close some of these out, the corresponding proggie might disappear from the listing.

Some of the ways that proggies start running, and which you can easily modify are found by using the command "MSCONFIG" when you click on START --> RUN --> enter MSCONFIG as the program name you wish to run. Upon doing so, you will see the window titled "System Configuration Utility" appear. Click on the "Autoexec.bat" tab in the window and you can see what progs are loaded by your autoexec during the bootup. Click on the STARTUP tab to see yet more proggies that are loaded during startup. You can click on the checkbox to enable/disable these.
Old 04-14-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

here's a link that I got from a thread here awhile back.. it lists all the startup/background programs!

Startup - Full List
Old 04-14-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

realplayer has an auto start agent that you dont need, since the files are associated with realplayer anyways.. turn that off in the preferences

osa is office crap.. turn that off

you have a couple listings there for norton

watchdog
Old 04-14-02, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the help so far. For some reason, MSCONFIG won't run. I did a find for it and nothing showed up on my PC. Maybe it's not on Windows 95????

How do I get rid of Watchdog?

Are all the programs with "32" on them Norton programs?
Old 04-14-02, 09:45 PM

MSCONFIG only became available with windows98.

There is a startup control panel applet available that performs much the same function:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
Old 04-15-02, 12:41 AM

Ooops, Win95 was so long ago that I forgot I had installed all those extra tools and service packs to supplement the operating system.

From the pacs-portal.uk website (mentioned by JohnPhoenix), here are some sites where you can download a version of MSCONFIG that runs on Win95:

http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm

http://www.micro-solutions.com/tech_...docs/2922.html

Last edited by Startide; 04-15-02 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-15-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

SWEET! Thanks fellas! I tried to install that startup control panel applet but it didn't work, it needed some TSAD.DLL file??? But then I downloaded the MSCONFIG (thanks Startide!) and it worked like a dream. That, coupled with the site that JohnPhoenix pointed me to, enabled me to get rid of a lot of background crap. The little resource meter tells me I have a lot more resources to play with. That should help with my new broadband access (finally got hooked up to my roommates cable internet yesterday).

Once again, thanks! Is there nothing I can't find out with the help of people on DVDTalk?
Old 04-16-02, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by LurkerDan:
I tried to install that startup control panel applet but it didn't work, it needed some TSAD.DLL file???
The TSAD.DLL is used in software that phones home (aka "spyware").