Reload this Page >

Virus Help Please!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Virus Help Please!

Old 04-14-02, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virus Help Please!

I keep getting a virus detection from Norton Antivirus. Something about an "explorer.exe" detection. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them? Norton basically gives me a prompt screen with only one option, which when clicked on, closes down windows to just the desktop with no windows icons. I have no idea what to do. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

when was the last time your virusscan was updated? you might want to go to symantec.com and download the latest update.

If your copy of NAV has the option to make an emergency disk I'd do that. You can then boot off of it, and scan your PC from DOS where the file won't be in use.

A lot of viruses use the explorer.exe name for their file because you'll think it's a system file and won't delete it. But most likely, there's another file that calls it to keep the virus going.

Without knowing more (like what OS you're running) I can't tell you where to look for your explorer.exe, but under Win2k on my PC it's in c:\winnt so if it's in the root of your drive, or if it's in the system32 folder under 2k then it's probably a virus. But just deleting it might not remove it.

Update your virusscan and try closing all your programs and running a full scan. If not, go for the emergency disk...
Old 04-14-02, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I went to symantec and updated all of my NAV info. It found one virus and took care of it. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Thanks for all your help.
Old 04-15-02, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's a good idea to go on Symantec's site and update your virusscan on a regular basis! New Viruses come out weekly...
Old 04-15-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I thought that would have done it, but I just recently got that prompt screen from NAV again regarding the explorer.exe. I am running Windows ME. How do I do the back up disc, and then look for it in DOS? Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 04-15-02, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just thought of something. It only seems to happen when I'm online. I'm using Internet Explorer 6. Could it be a problem with IE? Should I try removing IE from my machine, and then use another browser to download it again? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again for all your help.