Reload this Page >

Intellimouse problem

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Intellimouse problem

Old 04-13-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intellimouse problem

so, i have an intellimouse for about two years now, working with no problems until yesterday. i'm running win xp. it'd flicker off occasionally for a few seconds. it went bad yesterday, so i changed it to another usb port, and it worked. then, today, it goes dead, until i change it back to the same usb port as yesterday, and it works. do i have a bad usb port? or a bad mouse? one port was directly connected to the computer, and the other was connected to a microsoft keyboard with a usb hub.
Old 04-13-02, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When you were unplugging/replugging the mouse, did you ever do it to the same port?

My mouse used to flicker off and sometimes not work without reconnecting to a hub. It eventually got to the point that I had to reboot to get it to work. Then finally it shut off and never returned.

If it is your mouse, Microsoft has a lifetime warranty on it, so you can call and get it replaced easily enough.

Also see this thread on it:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...explorer+mouse
Old 04-13-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Same thing was happening to me when it was plugged into the M$ keyboard. I eventually put the PS/2 adapter back on and plugged it in that way.
Old 04-13-02, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by UWSarge
When you were unplugging/replugging the mouse, did you ever do it to the same port?

My mouse used to flicker off and sometimes not work without reconnecting to a hub. It eventually got to the point that I had to reboot to get it to work. Then finally it shut off and never returned.

If it is your mouse, Microsoft has a lifetime warranty on it, so you can call and get it replaced easily enough.

Also see this thread on it:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...explorer+mouse
thanks! well, it's working now, so i guess i'll keep it. i really like this mouse...it has the perfect feel, in weight and size, so i don't plan on changing. I guess when it stops working for good, then i'll have them replace it. Too bad i don't have a receipt (got it as a gift)
Old 04-14-02, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by D. Pham

thanks! well, it's working now, so i guess i'll keep it. i really like this mouse...it has the perfect feel, in weight and size, so i don't plan on changing. I guess when it stops working for good, then i'll have them replace it. Too bad i don't have a receipt (got it as a gift)
When I had mine replaced, they didn't need a receipt or anything. I just gave them the serial number off the mouse. New one came in the mail and they didn't even ask to have the old one sent back.
Old 04-14-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When I had mine replaced, they didn't need a receipt or anything. I just gave them the serial number off the mouse. New one came in the mail and they didn't even ask to have the old one sent back.
thanks! i'm gonna call them tomorrow

edit: do i just call their support number? or is there a special place i need to call?
Old 04-14-02, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's been like a year since I've done it, but I think if you just call the general support number, you'll be routed to the right people.
Old 04-14-02, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's been like a year since I've done it, but I think if you just call the general support number, you'll be routed to the right people.
thanks again! this saved me from having to go out and buy another one
Old 04-14-02, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 04-14-02, 02:02 AM

Microsoft RMA #:
1-800-360-7561

Press 3 - Order Supplimental or Replacement Part
Press 1 - Order Supplimental or Replacement Part with
tech

Say "I have a bad Intellimouse Explorer"

Give P/N off mouse

You can check your status at:
status.microsoft.upgrade.com

Monday-Friday 5am-7pm

Last edited by ZakVTA; 04-14-02 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-21-02, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

thanks everyone for your help! i got the replacement mouse friday. they even gave me a 3.0 one