Reload this Page >

Windows clock lags

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Windows clock lags

Old 04-13-02, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows clock lags

I'm using Windows ME and I notice that whenever I leave my computer on for a while (a day, or sometimes less than that) the windows clock in the lower right of the screen always becomes significantly behind the real time. Is there any way to fix this? I am tired of frequently having to double check the clock to make sure that at this time it's displaying the correct time, and also having to always fix the time.

Also, whenever I restart my computer, the I sign in, and the computer prompts me that it's changed my clock for daylight savings time and that I should verify that the time is correct. It click ok, and it says that it's January 4th(or something around there), 1980 at around 1258pm. Is there anything I can do that will stop my clock from resetting each time, and anything I can do so it won't think it has to adjust for daylight savings time (and thereby screwing up the time)?
Old 04-13-02, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How old is the PC? It sounds like the CMOS Battery is bad and needs to be replaced.

Either consult your Motherboard manual to find out what kind of battery you need or contact the manufacturer.

A lot of MBoards these days take the CR2032 watch type battery.
Old 04-13-02, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is a small battery on the mother board that powers clock when computer is off (also powers CMOS memory then). If battery is weak, the clock tends to reset to its default value, which sounds EXACTLY like your 2nd problem. I'm not sure about your 1st problem. Weak battery should only affect when it is off.

If your running Windows ME, how old is this computer? These batteries should last a few years, then need replacement. If they fail faster, there may be something else wrong causing too much drain when the main power is off.
Old 04-14-02, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got the computer July 2001, so it's less than a year old.