Reload this Page >

Couple of Windows XP questions

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-12-02, 03:28 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Windows XP Pro installed on my computer.

I believe, and I could be mistaken, when I was installing it, one of the options was for Windows XP 64 bit? What exactly is that.

Also, I just used plain old Fat32 partitions, because I plan on using it for games and such that I figured might not like an NTFS partition.

If I wanted to convert, would some of my programs and games potentially not work?

Also, I have a shortcut to Windows Explorer in my Quick Launch area. When I open it, it defaults to expanding the My Documents folder. Is there a way to control which folder it expands by default? I'd much rather have it expand My Computer\C: by default.

Thanks in advance.

Overall, I'm liking Win XP.
Old 04-12-02, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Couple of Windows XP questions

Originally posted by Vryce
I have Windows XP Pro installed on my computer.

I believe, and I could be mistaken, when I was installing it, one of the options was for Windows XP 64 bit? What exactly is that.

I think this version is meant to run on the new 64 bit proccessors? Somebody else needs to confirm.

Also, I just used plain old Fat32 partitions, because I plan on using it for games and such that I figured might not like an NTFS partition.

If I wanted to convert, would some of my programs and games potentially not work?

They should work fine, there is no 'unconvert' though, so double check before doing it.

Also, I have a shortcut to Windows Explorer in my Quick Launch area. When I open it, it defaults to expanding the My Documents folder. Is there a way to control which folder it expands by default? I'd much rather have it expand My Computer\C: by default.

Thanks in advance.

Overall, I'm liking Win XP.

Don't know. Not much help am I?
Old 04-13-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The 64-bit version is indeed for 64-bit CPU's. Not sure if this includes the Alpha DEC things or only the new 64-bit ones from Intel and AMD. Chances are you won't be installing that version for quite some time.

Not sure if converting to NTFS will affect your games, but why do you want to change over anyway? For the home/game user there is little to no point. IMO anyway.

I've changed the default startup for Windows Explorer before but can't remember how to do it now. There are just so many options within XP half the time I don't know where to look. But I'm looking through a few websites now for the solution to it. There are some great sites like www.regedit.com and www.tweakxp.com which will have a lot of info on it.

Ok, found it here.

By default, Windows Explorer opens showing the My Documents folder. To change the default setting so that all top–level drives and folders are shown, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Programs, then Accessories, then right–click Windows Explorer, and click Properties.
2. Under Target field, which reads %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe, add to make the line read %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n, /e, /select, C:\
3. Click OK.

Last edited by fmian; 04-13-02 at 11:40 AM.