Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Hard-drive/CDRom installation question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-12-02, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new 40GB Maxtor hard drive that I would like to install as the master drive. My question is, what ide channels should I hook the cdrom drive and cd-burner up to to achieve maximum performance?

Should the hard-drive be the only drive on ide1? Should I chain the two cd drives on ide2? What is the best combination?

Also, what about using the Cable Select option on these drives? Is it better to just assign them as master and slave?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 04-12-02, 01:54 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

HDD--Primary master
CD-ROM--Primary Slave

CD burner--Secondary master.

if you swap drives a lot, use cable select. if it's pretty permanent, just set it yourself the one time (though cable select is perfectly fine).

--HN
Old 04-12-02, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the reply HN!

I'll hook them up this way and see how it goes!
Old 04-13-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, I would only recommend that setup if you do a lot of direct cd to cd burning without building an image on the HDD first. As direct cd to cd transfers will be faster, but cd to HDD transfers will be slower.

If you make image files before copying a cd (should be an option in your CDR software) then I would suggest you use the following setup.

Pri Master - HDD

Sec Master - CD
Sec Slave - Burner
Old 04-13-02, 12:07 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by fmian
Actually, I would only recommend that setup if you do a lot of direct cd to cd burning without building an image on the HDD first. As direct cd to cd transfers will be faster, but cd to HDD transfers will be slower.

If you make image files before copying a cd (should be an option in your CDR software) then I would suggest you use the following setup.

Pri Master - HDD

Sec Master - CD
Sec Slave - Burner
I didn't notice the original suggestion until you mentioned this. For sure the CD drives should be on a different channel than the HDD because their slower ATA speeds will slow the hard drive down to match.

I heard the newest iteration of IDE is able to get around this but I haven't seen it yet.
Old 04-13-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

is there a difference between using a ata/66 and an ata/100 drive on the same line? i know the 66 is slower, but realistically, how much of a difference would i notice?
Old 04-13-02, 09:20 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by D. Pham
is there a difference between using a ata/66 and an ata/100 drive on the same line? i know the 66 is slower, but realistically, how much of a difference would i notice?
You're probably running only ATA/66 on both of them anyway. Check what your motherboard is capable of. Even if it is 100 capable I doubt you'd notice (or that there would be) any difference.