Reload this Page >

Need opinions on Firewire/USB 2.0 HD vs. laptop

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-04-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the idea of perhaps getting a portable 20/30 GB HD for work instead of getting another laptop and having to lug that back and forth each day. Granted, a laptop is nice to have, but for some reason, the Dell 8000 Inspiron laptop that I have gets such a static build up (or something like that), that I'll be programming and the mouse will randomly click and I'll erase everything I type (yes, very frustrating). So now I have to attach a mouse and keyboard to do anything with it.

My 10 GB HD that is on the laptop is getting rather full and has a 13 ms seek time which is longer than the 12 ms seek time of the USB/firewire HD, so I had the idea to get an external HD that I could work from at home and work. This way I could get a desktop for work and use my home desktop to work from at home (just need to connect my USB/firewire HD wherever I am)(I can also convince the wife that I need a faster computer and need a USB/firewire card ). Anyone see any pros/cons to this?
Old 04-04-02, 02:12 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Sounds like a great idea!

Just don't lose it when you're travelling.
Old 04-04-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

or drop it.
Old 04-04-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by zuffy
or drop it.
Yeah, kinda strange, but I was actually thinking of buying some sort of padded carrying case (similar to the one I have for my laptop) for just this very occasion. And would also help with me not losing it during travelling
Old 04-04-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, now...any recommendations? It'll probably have to be a USB drive (I don't have a firewire port on either of my computers).
Old 04-06-02, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used a USB drive once and it was painfully slow. USB 1.1 only offers 11 Mbps bandwidth, and that's downhill with a tailwind.

Firewire delivers 400 Mbps and USB 2.0 is spec'd at 450 Mbps (though it's such a crappy interface standard, I'd be surprised if you came close to that in practice).

Firewire adapter cards cost under $20 a piece if you get the no-name brands. Both Win2K and WinXP have native support for Firewire meaning you don't need to worry too much about drivers. I've been sticking to adapter cards that use the TI chip and those have worked very well.

Otherwise, your idea is a fine one. I have a Maxtor 80GB mounted in an ADS Pyro case that I use to transport data. It's all hot-pluggable and very convenient.
Old 04-06-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by belboz
Otherwise, your idea is a fine one. I have a Maxtor 80GB mounted in an ADS Pyro case that I use to transport data. It's all hot-pluggable and very convenient.
Do you have any kind of a carrying case for it? I'm probably going to end up buying some sort of padded case to carry it around around in, just for some added protection.
Old 04-07-02, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't have a special case for it. I have extra firewire and power cables at the places where I use the drive, so I don't have to bring those with me. Usually, I just carry the case by hand, but sometimes I'll put it in a backpack or bookbag.

The ADS case is actually a bit large if you're just putting a HD in it. It's designed to accomodate 5 1/4" devices and I used to have a Plextor burner in mine. There are other cases that are smaller and designed specifically for 3 1/2" HD's.

I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to find a padded case. Especially if you need to carry cables too and you can find a case that can keep it all neat and tidy.