Reload this Page >

Where to take Online course in COBOL?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-04-02, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know COBOL = Completely Obsolete Business Oriented Language, but I still want to take a course in it just to show that I've done it. I pretty much know how to use it, so that's why I think online course would be better for me. Can anyone recommend a good online program at any university?

H
Old 04-04-02, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good luck - COBOL was a language that most universities refused to teach, even in the late '80s.

If you have done paid work in COBOL, that should be sufficient for your resume.

RD (who took 3 courses in COBOL)
Old 04-04-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DivxGuy
Good luck - COBOL was a language that most universities refused to teach, even in the late '80s.

If you have done paid work in COBOL, that should be sufficient for your resume.

RD (who took 3 courses in COBOL)
Boy, you were right. It is pretty hard to find any university teaching COBOL. UIC/NWU/UofC don't seem to have any COBOL course, and Loyola/Depaul only offer it in the fall semester. I'm thinking I'll just put it on my resume and when someone asks me for proof that I know it, I'll say I was taught it in one of my many DB courses.
Old 04-04-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by huzefa

Boy, you were right. It is pretty hard to find any university teaching COBOL. UIC/NWU/UofC don't seem to have any COBOL course, and Loyola/Depaul only offer it in the fall semester. I'm thinking I'll just put it on my resume and when someone asks me for proof that I know it, I'll say I was taught it in one of my many DB courses.
i took 1 course in cobol at auburn university as an elective.. thinking it might be beneficial during the y2k preparation.
they also offer a advanced cobol class
but I dont believe there is an distance learning program for those classes
Old 04-04-02, 10:05 PM

All the COBOL jobs I see require a ton of experience - is there some kind of hidden demand for this language?

RD
Old 04-05-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All the COBOL jobs I see require a ton of experience - is there some kind of hidden demand for this language?

RD
I'm sure there are still many, many places that have systems being used that are written in COBOL.

Here is a little secret information about your nuclear defense plan. As little as 4 years ago the entire Single Integrated Operational Plan system was written in 80% COBOL.

I once saw a course offered in object-oriented COBOL.
Old 04-06-02, 02:09 PM

There might be a lot of software written in COBOL out there, but there isn't much demand for COBOL programmers anymore. I think the last dying gasp for COBOL was Y2K.

RD
Old 04-06-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RD
That's the thing, see. I was turned down for 2 internships because I had no cobol experience, though I'm wellversed in SQL etc.
Old 04-06-02, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by huzefa

That's the thing, see. I was turned down for 2 internships because I had no cobol experience, though I'm wellversed in SQL etc.
Why would anyone want to work for a company that would have COBOL as a requirement for interns? Anyone who knows COBOL isn't looking for a summer job, they're looking for a nice retirement home (with wheelchair access) to get away from all these kids and their loud rock music.
At best, this requirement will only draw talent from a pool of bad programmers who are used to writing obfuscated code in an old language. Or, you'll be working at a company that specializes in cobol...great.

Last edited by raytseng; 04-06-02 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-07-02, 12:03 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
I graduated from college just last year and COBOL was a required course.
Old 04-07-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by raytseng

Why would anyone want to work for a company that would have COBOL as a requirement for interns? Anyone who knows COBOL isn't looking for a summer job, they're looking for a nice retirement home (with wheelchair access) to get away from all these kids and their loud rock music.
At best, this requirement will only draw talent from a pool of bad programmers who are used to writing obfuscated code in an old language. Or, you'll be working at a company that specializes in cobol...great.
One of them was Hewitt Associates. I know people who work there and they tell me they've NEVER used Cobol. But interns applying for the same position need to know it? What a bunch of crock.
Old 04-07-02, 01:02 PM

Micro Focus, one of the biggest vendors of COBOL tools, has a teaching portal listing U.S. institutions that offer instruction in the language.

You might want to check it out.

Also, there is probably a PC version of the compiler you can get ahold of for a modest price. In conjunction with working through a book or two, you could probably earn a reasonable grasp of the language yourself.

RD (once known as the COBOL Kid)
Old 04-07-02, 01:12 PM

Maybe to a 12-year-old 30 is old, but it's nowhere near Social Security age.

There's a lot of production systems written in COBOL out there, which cost tens of billions of dollars to develop, and they'll be in use for many years to come.

One of the sharpest programmers I ever knew liked COBOL a lot (he used it to single-handedly developed the Timeac point-of-sale systems).

RD
Old 04-08-02, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by CharlesC
I once saw a course offered in object-oriented COBOL.
I took this course last semester. I am taking my 3rd semester of COBOL now. I can't wait to be done with it. My school is ending the course officially after the first summer term of this year.
Old 04-08-02, 04:42 PM

Maybe to a 12-year-old 30 is old, but it's nowhere near Social Security age.

There's a lot of production systems written in COBOL out there, which cost tens of billions of dollars to develop, and they'll be in use for many years to come.

One of the sharpest programmers I ever knew liked COBOL a lot (he used it to single-handedly developed the Timeac point-of-sale systems).

RD
The point is that a company that requires COBOL experience for a INTERN positon isn't drawing the best talent. The company should evaluate an employee's overall programming ability regardless of experience in COBOL, and if it is necessary have on the job training.

This is a comment on the management of that company rather than on COBOL or specific COBOL programmers.

Working for such a company with such a misguided litmus test is what leads me to to believe that many of the people who work there believe the mantra: "If I had to go through COBOL to get my job, so do you."

P.S. how many 30 year old interns do you know?
Old 04-08-02, 10:11 PM

A company demanding experience in the tools that they use or may use is established practice in this biz, whether we like it or not.

I don't know any interns at all anymore - all my education and training these days is self-paced (including my BSc program). At one time I did know plenty of older people who were newbies to the field, though.

RD