Reload this Page >

? on Notebook Hard Drive's Durability

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-04-02, 08:03 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Are notebook hard drives less durable than the desktop hard drives? At work, I've seen over 100 crashed notebook hard drives and 0 crashed hard drives in the past two years. Personally, I've had 2 notebook hard drives crash on me and 0 desktop hard drives, and I've used desktops about 10x more than notebooks.

By crash, I mean hardware breakdown complete with that loud grinding sound.

Are the notebook hard drives are less durable? Also should I disable system scan (this still checks for viruses on downloads and floppy access) on my VirusScan since it makes the hard drive "work" all the time?
Old 04-04-02, 08:38 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if they're less durable, I think they just take more beatings. Desktops generally stay in the same place, so their hard drives aren't jarred around much. Notebooks get tossed in bags, dropped, and moved around all the time. I always thought they were made more durable to compensate for what they have to go through. I've been lucky with both desktop and laptop drives.
Old 04-04-02, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Abs, are you smacking these things with hammers or something? I have about 100 laptops out in the field, and hard drive failures are way down on the list of problems with them. Are these all the same model of laptop? Maybe it was a bad production run from the drive MFG.

Dave

Last edited by Dave99; 04-04-02 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-04-02, 03:48 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by Dave99
Abs, are you smacking these things with hammers or something? I have about 100 laptops out in the field, and hard drive failures are way down on the list of problems with them. Are these all the same model of laptop? Maybe it was a bad production run from the drive MFG.
Did Abs make a post, then delete?
Old 04-04-02, 03:49 PM
Stealth Moderator

On my current notebook, I hear a constant jiggle from the computer. What sound is that? It's quite a bit softer than the standard HD jiggle that I hear when I run an application and the HD is accessed. But the softer sound also seems to be coming form the HD.

Old 04-04-02, 04:14 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by namja
On my current notebook, I hear a constant jiggle from the computer. What sound is that? It's quite a bit softer than the standard HD jiggle that I hear when I run an application and the HD is accessed. But the softer sound also seems to be coming form the HD.
It's probably the hard drive seeking. Newer ones almost sound like a faint musical note. I just got a 30GB IBM Travelstar that does that, the drive is silent when not seeking, jingly when seeking.

Just look at drives specs for the upper limits of their operating and non-operating Gs. I know some of the newer glass-platter drives are quite shock resistant. And I would think they'd put that technology in notebook drives for the obvious reasons.
Old 04-04-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My Dell Inspiron 5000E had some sounds coming out of the HDD whenever I power it on, and after a while it started to get loud as a fan spinning,thats when they said the Fujitsu HDD are all gone bad!So they replaced it with a new IBM drive and it works smooth every since.A laptop should not be moved when its powered on from one to another,risking some damages to the HDD!
Old 04-10-02, 04:35 PM
Stealth Moderator

Re: ? on Notebook Hard Drive's Durability

Also should I disable system scan (this still checks for viruses on downloads and floppy access) on my VirusScan since it makes the hard drive "work" all the time?
Should I have VirusScan system scan in the background as I work? Is this really necessary?
Old 04-10-02, 04:44 PM

Re: Re: ? on Notebook Hard Drive's Durability

Should I have VirusScan system scan in the background as I work? Is this really necessary?
Well there's a difference between having it scan in the background and having the "on access scanner" running in the background.

Having it scan your entire system for virii while you work could be a problem, however having the system scan files as you open them is an important way to catch viruses. McAfee caught a bunch for me last night as I was surfing the web.

If it's a problem, you might want to go into the properties for the onaccess scanner and set it from ALL FILES to Program files and that way it'll only scan certain file types and not all files.

The less it scans, the less secure your system is unfortunately.

Not having any virusscan is a bad thing.
Old 04-10-02, 04:49 PM

As for Laptop HDs, it's funny I've been seeing the same thing happen.. in the last 6 months we've had 3 times as many Laptop HD's go than desktop. Oddly enough, we had 3 Laptop HDs go bad within a week. Weird thing was, all 3 HDs were less than 2 years old. Thank god for warranties!