Reload this Page >

changing a partition from NTSF to FAT32 in xp home

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-25-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine is trying to do a dual boot system so that he can play games on his new computer.
Right now both the c and d drive are set as ntfs file systems... We want to put Win ME on the D drive of the box, so we have to change the d partition into a fat32 file system so that win me will run on it. I have been trying to talk him through it, but we can not see to get it to change file systems. I tried to do it under the explorer window by right clicking on the d drive, and selecting format, then selecting file type, but the only thing that is listed is ntfs.

How do we go about changing the file system type with out reformating the whole drive to be a fat32 system?
Old 03-25-02, 08:45 PM

With Win2K, you can't convert from NTFS to FATXX, just FATXX to NTFS. I don't know if the same holds true for XP.

These are the kinds of things you have to plan ahead for, and why I always format my C: drives with FAT32.

Perhaps you could try moving everything off of the D:, reformatting it in FAT32, and then moving everything back?

RD
Old 03-25-02, 08:46 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Partition Magic.
Old 03-25-02, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by X
Partition Magic.
partition magic can go from ntfs back to fat32 now???
I didnt think that was possible
Old 03-25-02, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Type diskmgmt.msc in the Run command. This will bring up the Disk Management. If you don't have the option to format as FAT32, then delete the partition and recreate it again. You should be able to format as FAT32.

BTW, you still need the C drive to be FAT32 to do a dual-boot with Win9x. Win9x can't be install in other drives than C. NT, W2K, XP has no problem being installed in other drives.
Old 03-25-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X
Partition Magic.
Only 1 way, FATx --> NTFS. No vice versa.
Old 03-25-02, 08:58 PM
X
Administrator

Hey, my Partition Magic 7 gives FAT32 as the only option when I asked it to convert NTFS. So it's lying? I don't want to have to do this to find out for sure.

I can see that it would complain if any files were over 4GB though.
Old 03-25-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by X
Hey, my Partition Magic 7 gives FAT32 as the only option when I asked it to convert NTFS. So it's lying? I don't want to have to do this to find out for sure.

you try it first

cause I sure wouldnt

shhh shhh.. we'll get cranky to try it.. he'll try anything
Old 03-25-02, 09:37 PM
X
Administrator

Well, from the specs on their site...

FLEXIBLE FUNCTIONALITY

Support for larger drives - Partition and support hard drives as large as 80 GB.
Convert between File Systems without losing data - With PartitionMagic, convert file systems without losing data. Conversions include FAT to FAT32 and NTFS; FAT32 to FAT; NTFS to FAT and FAT32; Primary to Logical and vice versa; and FAT32 to NTFS under Windows 2000 Professional.

So, if I were cranky I'd sure try it!
Old 03-25-02, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X

I just check the Partition Magic 7.0 document. It's possible to convert NTFS --> FATx, depending on condition, such as the files must be uncompressed, no encyption. Once you do the convertion, you will lose the ACL.
Old 03-26-02, 10:43 AM

So what you are saying is that I cannot leave the XP version on the C; drive, and have Win ME install to the D: drive?

That will totally blow! I have cleared all the info from the D: drive, so it is empty now. Would I be able to do somthing like this? Change the drive letter from the c drive in it reading as the D drive? That way I would have a empty c: drive. WOuld that mess up all the installed program files because they would still be set to run off the C:?
Old 03-26-02, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by tjr2mental
So what you are saying is that I cannot leave the XP version on the C; drive, and have Win ME install to the D: drive?

That will totally blow! I have cleared all the info from the D: drive, so it is empty now. Would I be able to do somthing like this? Change the drive letter from the c drive in it reading as the D drive? That way I would have a empty c: drive. WOuld that mess up all the installed program files because they would still be set to run off the C:?
Okay... you can't change the drive letter of the drive that XP is installed onto otherwise none of your programs will load and most likely the OS won't even boot.

As far as installing ME, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO!? ME is one of the worst OS's in the Win9x lineup... I'd have to recommend going to Win98SE instead. However, installing another OS would redo the boot files on the C drive and XP would no longer boot. You would then have to re-install XP to get it to see the system as dual boot.

That's from my experience anyway...

FYI - WinME doesn't have DOS and i've heard of people having lots of problems playing games due to this. Keep that in mind!
Old 03-26-02, 11:21 AM
X
Administrator

Partition Magic will allow you to change the drive letter. It looks through everything and changes drive letter references.

But you'd need an intermediate partition to move to so you don't mix up the two OSs and who knows if it would be perfect? If you have a good backup you could certainly try it.
Old 03-26-02, 11:38 AM

Wow, and I thought that this would be easy.

The reason that we are using Win ME is because that is the only operating system that I have besides XP that I can give the guy. I no longer use ME, so I just figured that I would give him my disk. As far as I knw all he will be using ME for is to play games that are not supported by XP. The only one that he is having a problem with right nwo is Black and White. It says that it will not run on a NT system.

So there is not a easy way to do this I guess... Can't install ME to the D drive even after I remove the D drive, and remake the partition as Fat 32 because Win ME will not install to a d: drive. Only thing I would be able to do is reformat the whole drive... install ME to the C: drive, and then install XP to the D: drive. Does that sound right?

If I got Partition Magic, I would be able to swap everything from the c: to the D:, and then install ME to the C? How do you do that?
Old 03-26-02, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by X
Partition Magic will allow you to change the drive letter. It looks through everything and changes drive letter references.

But you'd need an intermediate partition to move to so you don't mix up the two OSs and who knows if it would be perfect? If you have a good backup you could certainly try it.
What is a intermediate partition? Would I have to make a third one then? I am a bit lost here... Guess I should worry about just making the D: drive to run under a fat32 system first.. then concern myself with the rest ea?
Old 03-26-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk God

The reason that we are using Win ME is because that is the only operating system that I have besides XP that I can give the guy. I no longer use ME, so I just figured that I would give him my disk. As far as I knw all he will be using ME for is to play games that are not supported by XP. The only one that he is having a problem with right nwo is Black and White. It says that it will not run on a NT system.

black and white is supported on win2k
so its pretty safe to assume its supported by xp

im sure, but nt system, they meant nt4 and thats just because nt4 cannot use a new version of directx
Old 03-26-02, 11:44 AM
X
Administrator

What is a intermediate partition? Would I have to make a third one then? I am a bit lost here... Guess I should worry about just making the D: drive to run under a fat32 system first.. then concern myself with the rest ea?
You would need a third one to hold the first one as it's getting moved before the second one writes over the partition that originally held the first one. Then the first OS, on the temporary partition, could be moved to where the second OS was. You could create a partition just big enough to hold the first one temporarily until you're done and then allocate the space back to either C or D as you wish.

But this is getting complicated and you absolutely must have a complete backup before attempting it.
Old 03-26-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk God

xp actually has as good, or better game support then 2k

especially since the backwards compatibility modes actually work very well in xp (they work sometimes in 2k)..

if you find something that just wont run under xp (not many programs arent supported).. try rightclicking the shortcut and go to properties.. in there, you will see the option to run in compatibility modes.. you can run the game/app as if it was in 95,98,nt4, etc..
Old 03-26-02, 12:21 PM

As far as installing ME, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO!? ME is one of the worst OS's in the Win9x lineup... I'd have to recommend going to Win98SE instead.
I've found that it works quite well - in fact, I use it on my HTPC for DVD playback.

However, installing another OS would redo the boot files on the C drive and XP would no longer boot. You would then have to re-install XP to get it to see the system as dual boot.
With Win2K, in this situation you can go to the CD-ROM drive and use the Recovery Console to repair the boot sector. I assume XP has a similar utility?

RD
Old 03-26-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff

black and white is supported on win2k
so its pretty safe to assume its supported by xp

im sure, but nt system, they meant nt4 and thats just because nt4 cannot use a new version of directx
I have Black & White, and it's running fine on my XP system.