Reload this Page >

Now ready to look for wireless network

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-24-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts

I got both my kids (11 & 8) new Dell's for Christmas. After 3 months they enjoy them, has used them for homework, not gone overboard on games, have treated them well (I was only worried about this on my younger one).

So now ready to let them get on the Net on their own (they both play on the Net on our office computer). Our office is just between the two room, but one is across the hall, and my wife won't let me cut drywall.

So...Thought wireless would be the way to go. We use a cable modem thru Cox. All computers run Win '98. Office computer is a P3 500 htz w/128 mem HP. The kids both have P4 1.1 htz (I think) w/256 mem Dell's.

I know I ask about wireless stuff about 7 months ago and you guys gave me some great info. But can't find that thread now and figured there have been numerous changes in that time.

Looking for easy of set up. Stability. Besides the above I may want to hook my laptop in the loop when home. And of course looking for a deal.

Any suggestions? Not only for hardware but also sites and/or books that give information. Thanks
Old 03-24-02, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can go here: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...uide_index.asp The most popular choice seems to be the linksys wireless / router combo and the orinico clients. That is what I running at home and have had good results. Be sure to turn wep on. You don't want your neighbors connecting to your network.
Old 03-25-02, 09:32 AM

Practicallyetworked.com is indeed the place to research this stuff. They seem to recommend either the SMC or D-Link wireless (they're twins made by the same company, Abit I think).

We install the SMC wireless gateways in our dept manager's homes (who have cable modems). Ive had great experience with the four I've done. I have an SMC wired cable router at home and like it. You should be able to get either for around $150 after rebates and whatnot.

I'd also stay within the same brand when getting the wireless adapters that go along with this. Both of these have a three port switch, so whatever's close to the router can be wired to it.
Old 03-25-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.justdeals.com

they no longer have the homeRF (don't laugh) wireless router I got, but they have some wireless cards that seem cheaper than I've seen elsewhere. I've been really happy with HomeRF because the whole setup was under $65 and I haven't had a single problem with it so far.

examples:
Proxim 802.11b PC Card $38
Proxim HomeRF PC Card $12.77
Proxim USB HomeRF Adapter $17.77
Bromax 802.11b wireless access point $100
Old 03-25-02, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally posted by Shay
You can go here: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...uide_index.asp The most popular choice seems to be the linksys wireless / router combo and the orinico clients. That is what I running at home and have had good results. Be sure to turn wep on. You don't want your neighbors connecting to your network.
Great site. Thanks for the information....