Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

HELP QUICK PLEASE! Monitor/Hard drive issue...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-23-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must summon the power of the forum...

I just had to move my computer to another room and everything appears to be fine -- except the following (I'm using the other computer to post this):

Nothing appears on my monitor, even though the power is clearly on. The hard drive is functioning properly and the power light on my moniter is lit. What I did notice upon unhooking everything was that the "panel" (don't know the correct terminolgy) on the hard drive where the monitor plugs in was loose. When I got everything moved and plugged everything back in, the looseness wasn't increased or anything, so I don't know if that's the issue. It worked before, so why not now -- right? But that's the only thing I can think of, because I recall that those "panels" are normally secure and aren't prone to movement. At any rate, I'm perplexed.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 03-23-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
you say the monitor is on

is the light on the front green or amber?
Old 03-23-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amber
Old 03-23-02, 08:42 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Whoa!

You take it, twikoff!
Old 03-23-02, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Pikul
Amber
then its not getting a signal from your computer

did you make sure your cable is hooked good and tight into the video card?

you might want to pull the video card out and reseat it to make sure its in good and tight
Old 03-23-02, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk God

btw... when you say 'hard drive' are you talking about the cpu/case.. not the actual hard drive.. correct?
Old 03-23-02, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did some retracing and snugging and tugging earlier, but yeah -- I should check all of that out again to be sure. Back in a minute...

(Thanks for your attention!)
Old 03-23-02, 08:46 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Old 03-23-02, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah -- the case. It's the 'panel' just above the one that takes care of the speaker plug-in, if that makes things clearer... or not...
Old 03-23-02, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No dice. The light is still amber. The port/panel where the cable plugs in is quite loose. Er... this might be a dead end? I'm probably not explaining this all that accurately. Don't feel the need to pick your brain completely or anything. My wife/whiz is usually around to figure these things out, but she happens to be away at the moment.
Old 03-23-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk God

is the computer turned on?

make sure the computer if on.. then unhook the monitor cable from the back of the computer and push it in tight and screw it back down...

move the mouse or hit a few keys on the keyboard to make sure its not just sleeping
Old 03-23-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I opened up the side panel and saw that the screw that holds the card in place was gone. That explains the looseness of course. So I fastened it with a new screw, re-plugged the monitor cable into the card, doubletriplequadruple tightened everything related to the monitor and the computer, turned everything off and then on again... and still no luck. Er.... um.... uh....
Old 03-24-02, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I opened up the side panel and saw that the screw that holds the card in place was gone. That explains the looseness of course. So I fastened it with a new screw, re-plugged the monitor cable into the card, doubletriplequadruple tightened everything related to the monitor and the computer, turned everything off and then on again... and still no luck. Er.... um.... uh....
power off the computer. reseat the video card( pull it out then put it back in to the slot. make sure it is in. then use a screw to make sure it stays in. then close the case and then reboot the computer after reattaching the monitor. see if that works.
Old 03-24-02, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I fastened it with a new screw, re-plugged the monitor cable into the card, doubletriplequadruple tightened everything related to the monitor and the computer, turned everything off and then on again... and still no luck. Er.... um.... uh....
i hope this didn't make the problem worse, but in the future, make sure the power is OFF when you're tinkering around inside the computer. when the power is off you're much less likely to fry something by accident.
Old 03-24-02, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I didn't word that too properly as any work I did on the computer was done while the power was off.
Old 03-24-02, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I didn't word that too properly as any work I did on the computer was done while the power was off.
GOOD :>

How much jostling around did the computer undergo in this move? The memory or possibly even CPU could have come unseated if it was tossed around a bit. I wouldn't worry about those possibilities until you're certain that the video card is tightly seated. Even though you re-tightened it, I would try gcribbs' advice above and find the video card (the one that the monitor plugs into), unplug the monitor, unscrew the screw holding it in and pull the whole video card out. then put it back in FIRMLY. then screw it back in and plug in the monitor.
Old 03-24-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think the computer was bumbled around much when I moved it. I placed it on a chair and moved it into the next room. I don't recall any shaking or any sudden movement that would cause trouble.

I'll re-do the seating of the video card.

Meanwhile, as another issue, the computer is turning itself off almost immediately after I turn it on. I'll hear it rev up but then it will shut off approximately two-three seconds after I turn it on.

Also (!), I took a look at the monitor plug that goes into the video card and noticed that one of the prongs appears to be missing.
Old 03-24-02, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PRONGS ON MONITOR CORD: i'm pretty sure that's normal on all monitor cables.

TURNING OFF AND ON: this suggests to me that the video card isn't the problem.

can you give us more info about the type of computer? (brand of computer, AMD or INTEL processor and what speed, about how old it is, etc) hopefully that will help someone know what to ask about.

If your wife or someone else who's poked around inside computers before will be around before long, it might be advisable to wait and let them check things out before exploring too much more right now unless someone has any specific recommendations.
Old 03-24-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I'm thinking I might just leave it for my wife to handle. She's the expert.

It's an old one -- it's a five year-old Gateway.

I've gotten the power to remain on. But after turning everything off and unplugging to re-seat and tighten the video card, I'm still getting an amber light on my monitor with nothing displayed.

Eeyore, gcribbs, twikoff -- thank you!
Old 03-24-02, 09:30 AM

Do you have more than one monitor connection on the rear of the computer? If you have a motherboard port and a video card port try switching to the motherboard port. If your computer failed to post it sometimes goes into a safe mode and will shut down all drivers and add on cards. Your video card may get turned off and you will have to use your onboard video out.

-K
Old 03-24-02, 09:48 AM

Pikul,

When you turn the computer on, are you getting any beeps. It sound like you are not posting completly, which can be caused by several things ( often a memory problem ). The BIOS should give you a beep message to help to identify the problem. If it is a memory problem se-seating the memory might fix it for you.

Mike
Old 03-24-02, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am getting a series of beeps:

"beeep-beep-beep"

One prolonged beep followed by two short ones.
Old 03-24-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk God

I am getting a series of beeps:

"beeep-beep-beep"

One prolonged beep followed by two short ones.
pop the memory out and reseat it... also make sure the processor is in good and solid
Old 03-24-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Success! Hurrah!

(I'm an idiot.)

The problem was that I didn't have the video card all the way in. I thought I had it tucked in all nice and tight, but when I tilted the computer at an angle to see everything better, I realized the slots on the side of the card were not tucked into position. Duh!

(Here is where you all have a laugh at Pikul.)

Thanks once again for your attention and advice.
Old 03-24-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

(Here is where you all have a laugh at Pikul.)

Ive actually been doing that since the begining

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.