Reload this Page >

Windows XP and Intel SpeedStep

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-22-02, 03:24 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

On my notebook computer with Windows XP, I don't have the Intel SpeedStep Power Management applet in my control panel. According to Intel, "Since Windows* XP has the Intel SpeedStep technology driver built into Windows, you will not see an icon on the taskbar and you will not see a tab for Intel SpeedStep technology using the power applet located in the Control Panel."

But if the technology is built into Windows, shouldn't it work? In my computer, if I start the computer plugged in, it starts at 900 MHz. If I then remove the power plug, instead of dropping to 700 MHz, it stays at 900 MHz. But if I star tthe computer on battery, it starts at 700 MHz and stays at 700 MHz even if I plug it in. It does not SpeedStep when I change power while the OS is running.

When I had Windows 2000, this feature worked perfectly, with the speed changing whenever I un/plugged the computer.

Help.
Old 03-22-02, 03:25 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Is there a way to install the applet for XP?:
Old 03-23-02, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the Intel SpeedStep utility is provided by the laptop manufacturer? When I redo my Sony VAIO laptop from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, I lost the auto-switch feature. Good thing was that Sony released some DLL patches for XP so I can use the Widnows 2000 Sony utilities. Now, I got the feature back.
Old 03-23-02, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a Toshiba Satellits 2805-S402. I upgraded from ME to XP last fall and was without speedstep until Toshiba got around to rereleasing the various utilities included with my computer for XP. It works fine, now.
Old 03-23-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a dell inspiron with XP and a 1.2ghz p3. You can disable speedstepping, or enable it, by going to the power management part and selecting Desktop or Laptop mode. I think anyway. I can't quite remember because I switched it so long ago, but it will always stay at the high speed unless you switch it back down manually.