Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

AMD Athlon XP 1700+. Soyo barebone system problem, what's your setup?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-15-02, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All,

Just wondering for those that jumped on this deal from Outpost, are having some problems with hooking up your system.

I brought this system and am running into some lock-ups when I play any game of mine. I get into the game, and at different times, the computer freezes, a high pitch screech is heard, and the screen sometimes becomes garbled. I reboot, and try again, same thing. I've tried this with 3 games so far, to no resolve...

Here are the specs that I have (all brand new):

-Windows XP Home edition
-PNY Geforce 3 Ti 200, w/ Detonator Drivers
-Sound Blaster Audigy MP3+, w/ latest drivers
-512mb PC2100 stick of RAM
-40 Gig HD
-Nic, Firewire card, etc..

I tried to download the latest drivers of all of the components. I have also gone to SOYO's website to check if I needed the latest BIOS, but I couldn't tell if I did. Is there an update that I missed that I need to get, that all of you did? BIOS? AGP Drivers? My graphic card?

-Also, does your AGP slot show up in Device Manager? When I look at the properties of my Geforce3, it shows PCI 0 slot 1? Is that normal?

The only one solution that I found early on is the CPU Speed not showing up correctly (was showing only 1.1 Athlon) Found on SOYO's website, that you need to change a jumper setting to "off" for it to work..

Thanks for the help, and let me know anyone else is experiencing this problem..

Fong
Old 03-15-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have had no problems with this system..

I have
512 meg PC2100 DDR
ATI Radeon 7000 64 Meg Video card (DVI out to my 17" flatscreen)
80 gig 7200 RPM IBM HD
SB Live
NIC
WinXP Pro

I don't think there are any new BIOS updates for the mobo from Soyo.

My video card shows up as PCI slot 1, I don't think that's a big deal.

What jumper setting did you change?
Old 03-15-02, 12:33 PM

Punkyou,

Glad to hear that someone is up and well....though I am very jealous...

This is from the SOYO website for the jumper setting: For K7ADA set FJ1 to #2 OFF

Do we have the K7ADA v1.0? or just the regular K7ADA? Also. on the SOYO Mobo Driver CD, there is a K7ADA XP seletion...what is that?

Sorry for the multiple questions...as you can see, this is my first home built computer...

Fong
Old 03-16-02, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm 99% sure it's your sound blaster sound card. Uninstall it and physically remove it from your system and then fire up your games and play them (with no sound of course but this will test to see if this is the problem). The chances are very good that your lock ups will be gone (XP and audigy have given a LOT of people grief). If so, just pick yourself up another brand sound card (Hercules or Turtle Beach). See if that works and Good Luck!!

Last edited by Shuki; 03-16-02 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-16-02, 02:39 AM

Shuki -

Your 99% guesstimate was right on the money! Good call!
I removed the sound card, and the games worked fine. Placed it back in, and boom..auto lockup! Crap!

I noticed that my Geforce 3 and my Sound Blaster Audigy is sharing the same IRQ (#11). Is that part of the problem? XP says the status is fine, but obviously, something is wrong. If that is the problem, is there a way to change it so they don't share the same resources?

Thanks again for the help...god I love this forum!

Fong
Old 03-16-02, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am not an XP user but I think it assigns those IRQ's by itself and the user can't change them. You might check around in the bios and see. I'll tell you now, from the beginning the simplest solution will be to ebay or return the audigy (if possible) and buy either a hercules or turtle beach sound card. Take the time and read through some of these posts about SB audigy problems

http://www.rage3d.com/board/search.p...der=descending

and a particular article about audigy's famous squeel of death problem in win2k and XP http://www.extremetech.com/article/0...3D22339,00.asp