Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Region modded stand alone DVD deck and NTSC to PAL converter, or dvd rom drive?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-12-02, 02:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I will now have to look for an alternative set-up so I can view PAL dvds on my big screen NTSC T.V. Electronics Direct told me they'll charge $45 plus shipping to mod my deck to play pal discs, plus I'll need a PAL to NTSC converter for the big screen.

My second option... can I just get a codefree dvd rom drive for my desktop and connect it to my TView Gold so I can view the dvds on my big screen TV? I'm assuming I won't need a PAL to NTSC converter for this option since I was able to view an existing PAL dvd (Exit the Dragon, Enter the Tiger) from my laptop to my big screen(via TView Gold) and it showed without any problems. So I'm assuming it's either the TView Gold or the drive in my laptop that's converting the signal from NTSC to PAL?

Anyway, which option is more expensive...the $45 it costs to mod the player, plus shipping, plus the converter? Or a region free dvd-rom drive for my PC?

Do all region free dvd-rom drives automatically convert pal to ntsc signals? Please let me know. Thanks
Old 03-13-02, 09:49 PM
Banned

how much are those convereters anyway?
Old 03-14-02, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some DVD-ROM costs below 100 bucks, while you can modify the drive into region free, by downloading the modified firmware.

DVD-ROM doesn't convert the signal.

If you have a video card with TV out, you can connect it to your TV, and you can choose which signal to be used, no matter what the disc format is.
Old 03-14-02, 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by eedoon
Some DVD-ROM costs below 100 bucks, while you can modify the drive into region free, by downloading the modified firmware.

DVD-ROM doesn't convert the signal.

If you have a video card with TV out, you can connect it to your TV, and you can choose which signal to be used, no matter what the disc format is.
Thanks...I'll keep that in mind
Old 03-15-02, 11:55 AM

I strongly advise you to use a computer TV-out card, which will allow you to play no matter (games, movies, Winamp visual plug-ins) on your TV, and does not care for PAL or NTSC signals on DVDs.

Of course, you will need the following three elements also:
1. a region-free DVD drive (by design or hacked)
2. A software DVD player (WinDVD and PowerDVD being the best)3. DVD Genie, a free program for DVDs, which allows you to switch to whichever region you want.

While ATI cards have some of the best output quality in the industry, also keep in mind that they are harder to trick, and that the ATI Multimedia player is more difficult to crack to be made region-free. A nVidia-based card would be a less complicated solution.

Overall, the value of this bundle is much greater, and it costs less than TV-converters. Don't mod your standalone player unless it's absolutely necessary.
Old 03-15-02, 01:06 PM
Banned

My Raite 715 DVD player plays PAL DVD's just fine into my NTSC TV. Many DVD players do this now. Just get the right DVD player. Stand alone converters are very expensive. I think the Apex DVD players will play a PAL DVD and convert to NTSC just like mine, plus the conversion is perfect.
Old 03-15-02, 03:45 PM

I have some experience with the conversion of PAL to NTSC... and I feel your best option is the VGA output of your DVD-ROM.

I'm VERY picky about my video and I first tried an Apex DVD player that had the PAL converter chip. It mostly worked but I was unhappy with picture.. The player was second rate to begin with and there was a lot of artifacts and shimmering, plus the picture was slightly squeezed (due to PAL having more lines horz lines). The picture would also skip a frame every now and then causing some jerkiness... I have a 16:9 HDTV and mostly buy non-us releases for anamorphic picture quality and the Apex didn't cut it for me.

then, I tried a $1000 PAL to NTSC converter.. It did a slightly better job but the cost didn't justify the result... There were still picture qulity issues. I ended up returning it. It was touted to be the best consumer device at the time (2 years ago) ..sorry, but I forgot the name of the unit..

I've since discovered HTPCs via VGA output and I have been very satisfied with the picture quality of PAL movies.

--mike
Old 03-15-02, 08:30 PM
Banned

Thanks guys...I'll probably go with the dvd-rom drive then. Any particular brand you recommend or it really doesn't matter? What about speed? 4x? 6x?
Old 03-16-02, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use Pioneer DVD-ROM. However, since it's 16x and it's the first 16x model released by Pioneer, it's rather noisy.
I would recommend slower drive, so it won't be too noisy, or later drive model. Please notice that some DVD-ROM has special software to reduce the speed of the drive, so it won't be too noisy when the drive is busy.
Old 03-16-02, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by eedoon
I use Pioneer DVD-ROM. However, since it's 16x and it's the first 16x model released by Pioneer, it's rather noisy.
I would recommend slower drive, so it won't be too noisy, or later drive model. Please notice that some DVD-ROM has special software to reduce the speed of the drive, so it won't be too noisy when the drive is busy.
Thanks eedon...I'll be going to Fry's today to look for one. Pioneer tends to be a good dvd player manufactuer. But like you said I don't want something that's too noisy. So maybe something like a 6x/8x?

Also, there;s something I forgit ti mention...I already own *three* dvd players. My Toshiba 3109, a PS2, and the one ofcourse in my laptop. My Toshiba stand alone player is actually already modded to play region 2 discs, but doesn't play pal discs. And I'm assuming even with a Game Shark 2, there's no way to get a PS2 to convert pal dvds to ntsc.

The thing that's really a shame though, is that my laptop seemingly does play some region 2 dvds, even though my 4 chances are up...I don't know if I mentioned this earlier but I installed hack program "Region Killer" and it now greys out the number of times left to change the region in WinDVD and stays at 4. But like I said, only SOME of my region 2 dvds play...not all of them. I wonder why that is?

I own several Japanese dvds and only a couple of them will play using WinDVD while the other ones won't. Do you think it has to do with the discs themselves, or with the Region Killer software, which is allowing only a few discs to be played? I think it might be Region Killer, because in the readme doc, it states that your dvd drive must be region free or else ot won't work. So perhaps the fact that my drive isn't region free, yet still plays some of the r2 dvds via Region Kller is probably a lucky bug in its program, allowing only a few discs to be played. What do you think?
Old 03-17-02, 12:48 AM

I suggest to buy a Malata N996 which has alrealdy a Pal/NTSC converter. it only cost about $399 Cdn about $280 US.

go to avdeals.com for more information about malata N996.

Erick
Old 03-17-02, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm... I would recommend DVD Genie than Region Killer. With that software, you can find out if your DVD-ROM drive is region modded, or not. Besides, it can handle several software and hardware player.
May be you want to give it a try: Inmatrix
Old 03-17-02, 01:04 AM
Banned

WOOOOOO-FREAKIN-HOOOO!!!! Just got back from Fry's! Picked up a Sony dvd-rom drive for $80!!! Talk about a pleasant surpise in dvd rom prices! I was expecting them to cost anywhere from $150-$300!! Got home, read the manual and painlessly installed the drive in my PC. Booted up and installed Power dvd effortlessly(which came with the drive btw). Plopped in my Region 2 PAL Game of Death dvd and BOOOYA! Kung-Fu goodness! I'm not even gunna bother with DVDGenie or any Firmwire hack...you know why? I already own a standalone Toshiba deck that plays R2 discs so from now on I'll use that to play regular ntsc dvds, while using my new dvd-rom drive to pal dvds only. Won't even need to switch regions on it so there's no need for the hacks. Works out perfectly! Now I just to decide which software player is best between WinDVD and PowerDVD. Which one do guys personally prefer? I have the WinDVD software cd-rom but it's not installed on my desktop...only on my laptop. I'm assuming it won't let me install it unless I have a CD-key or password correct? Thanks again guys!

Last edited by isamu; 03-17-02 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-17-02, 01:08 AM
Banned

double post sorry
Old 03-17-02, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm glad you have your problem solved.
Personally I prefer PowerDVD, since they're more configurable. (WinDVD is a good piece, but to fully tweak it you need DVD Genie)
Besides, you can get a lot of skin with PowerDVD. And the selection is quite good.

I'm assuming it won't let me install it unless I have a CD-key or password correct? Thanks again guys!
Of course you need the CD key.
Old 03-17-02, 09:47 AM

I also prefer PowerDVD for its features - and just in case you'd still need to play with regions, PowerDVD is even easier to work in tandem with DVDGenie than WinDVD!
Old 03-17-02, 10:55 PM
Banned

O.K...just got through watching GOD on my Toshiba 16:9 widescreen T.V. from my dvd-rom drive. The film itself, and the quality is great!

However...

Unfortunately, the film didn't present itself as an anamorphic 16:9 image on my big screen TV. I used TView Gold as my TV out device and I'm wondering why the borders on the screen were so big? The screen was really squished, and even going into "Theater Mode" still had borders. Is this because my software player Power DVD doesn't have an anamorphic mode to adjust to? I noticed it does have a pan and scan feature where you can make it full screen and move it from side to side, but then you're losing some of the image on the sides of the screen...

Or does it have to do with my TView Gold device? Is there a program that can be used in conjuntion with either Power DVD or WinDVD that allowes the screen to be stretched anamorphically from a dvd-rom drive?

Or perhaps the whole problem stems from the disc itself being PAL and not NTSC? If I plop in an anamorphic NTSC disc, will there still be borders?

Please provide some explanation on what it could be.
Old 03-17-02, 11:15 PM
X
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Try YXY to handle your aspect ratio problems.
Old 03-25-02, 09:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by X
Try YXY to handle your aspect ratio problems.
Thanks, I'm gunna give it a try when I get some time