Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Problem with realplayer

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Problem with realplayer

Old 01-21-02, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with realplayer

I have been having a problem with my RealPlayer 7 Basic. Every time i click on an icon for a realplayer movie file , it takes as much as three minutes for the clip to start playing. Sometimes the clip won't play at all. I tried to solve this by looking for an update but the only one i could find on the home site was $9.95/month . Also , how do i make windows media player the default player ? Whenever i download a movie RealPlayer automatically starts and takes forever. I am a computer novice and would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks again
Old 01-21-02, 11:14 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
try this: open up realplayer and go into your preferences. look in the "connection" tab. there is an option in there that says "Buffered play" with 2 options, buffer at least ## seconds and buffer entire clip up to available memory. if it's currently on the second option, change it to the first option. set the number of seconds between 10 and 30 seconds.

see if that works.

also, i don't think Windows media player can play Real Media files (.rm, .ram, .ra) . there may be a workaround but nothing practical.

--HN
Old 01-21-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

there is a realplayer basic 8 which is free, as well as their next generation player "RealOne."

I've always had problems with RealPlayer since 7.0 on. I think the last "stable" player I had was G2.

if HN's trick doesn't work, I'd try finding an old copy of RealPlayer G2.
Old 01-22-02, 03:38 AM

Thanks for your help. Using the advice given about switching the buffering time , i was able to reduce the time to about 30 seconds. This is much easier to live with. Thanks again.