Reload this Page >

What in the world is going on?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-09-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does this sound like to you--my computer only opens to certain sites, barely opens hotmail at all (I have to release/renew/refresh every time) or yahoo mail (not at all). I have a small amount of ram (64mb), and a cable connection, which is fast except for certain sites. I tried to run a scan disk and it ran ridiculously slow. It said something like checking block 7...21.....42.....48 of 1,xxxx,xxx. It would have took all night. What the heck is the problem?>
Old 01-09-02, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What OS are you running? What kind of processor? How much hard drive space?
Old 01-09-02, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
When you ran scandisk, did you run a standard or thorough? Thorough takes quite a while. Also, remember to check the box that says "Automatically fix errors".
Old 01-09-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It may be a problem with corrupt temporary internet files. The only way to be 100% sure of fixing it is to exit to DOS (don't open a dos box in windows) and do a deltree on the tempo~1 directory.
If you can't exit to dos (WinME/2000/XP) then you need to make a boot disk from a Win98 computer, but the deltree file on the floppy disk and boot up with that.
Old 01-09-02, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Windows Me About 20 gigs free 750mhz processor
This is on a regular scandisk, not a thorough.
fmian-I have no idea what the heck that says, lol
Old 01-10-02, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry, I should have been more specific.
Internet Explorer keeps files from all the webpages you visit in the Temporary Internet Files folder. If any of those files get corrupt then you'll have trouble getting to the webpage associated with that file. You can delete these files by going to Internet Options in the control panel and clicking the Delete Files button. See if that works.

Problem is though that not all the files are removed with the above procedure. To do it properly you'll need to get into pure dos mode. WinME won't let you go into pure dos mode though, so you'll need to make a floppy boot disk.

Get a spare floppy disk, go to add remove programs in the control panel, click the startup disk tab up the top and make the disk. While you're still in windows do a search for a file called 'deltree' and add that to the floppy disk as well.

Boot up with the floppy and you'll get to a dos prompt. Assuming that your windows folder is called 'windows' you need to type the following. Where it says <enter> just press enter.

smartdrv <enter>
cd windows <enter>
deltree tempor~1 <enter>

then choose yes and let it delete the contents.
Then reboot without the floppy, get back to windows and see if it worked.

Just a warning though. Using deltree on a folder will completely delete it and it's contents. Don't use the command on the wrong folder. If your temp internet files folder is elsewhere on the computer then you need to navigate there first before using deltree.

Hope that works for you.