Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

PC/Mac Networking Question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-09-02, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know of a better program/method for networking a Mac OS X computer to a WindowsXP computer/server than PCMACLAN? I've been using this program for a couple weeks and am (so far) relatively unimpressed with its feature set.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-10-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure if XP has this, but 2000 has a protocol called AppleTalk, and it will let you network pcs and macs together, but you would need to create a volume share for the macs on the server. Not sure if this is what you want, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Neitzl
Old 01-10-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a program called DAVE, but I've never used it and I'm not sure if there's a version for OS X yet. It's rated very highly, though.
Old 01-10-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mac OSX 10.1 and later has a built in SMB client, so if you want access Windows shares on the mac you're set. If you want to share files on the mac, download Samba. It's hard as heck to configure but it's free. If not, Thursby's Dave allows cross platform sharing and is easier to use than the built in SMB client and samba. It does cost quite a bit though. Good luck.
Old 01-10-02, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by dfbennett
Mac OSX 10.1 and later has a built in SMB client, so if you want access Windows shares on the mac you're set. If you want to share files on the mac, download Samba. It's hard as heck to configure but it's free. If not, Thursby's Dave allows cross platform sharing and is easier to use than the built in SMB client and samba. It does cost quite a bit though. Good luck.
Thanks! I thought that OS 10.1.x had SMB built-in. That's exactly what I want to do - access Windows shares on my Mac. Do you know of any good online "tutorials" for Samba configuration? I've tried working with it in Linux a couple of times but have been met with limited success.

Thanks again!
Old 01-10-02, 03:29 PM

Found It

Nevermind, I found out how to connect using the SMB client on OS 10.1.x. It's somewhat a pain (as noted previously), but it works and it's free!

Thanks!
Old 01-10-02, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Found It

Originally posted by BartleyR7
Nevermind, I found out how to connect using the SMB client on OS 10.1.x. It's somewhat a pain (as noted previously), but it works and it's free!

Thanks!
I found the best way to do it is to enter in the share i want to access, and add it to my favorites. that way, all i have to do in the future is select that bookmarked share from the drop down box in the connect to server window. Glad it worked for ya!