Reload this Page >

ACK! Help me with my Rio 500!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-08-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got my 128MB Smartmedia card today, I put it in my Rio 500 (with 2.16 firmware), format the SMC, and everything looks fine. I get a nice playlist of 55 songs (!), and say "copy to device". The first song is fine, and it gets hung up on the second song. The "program not responding" window comes up, so I close the Rioport software. I start again, and try to send my songs on over. Everything goes fine until the end. The last 14 songs are "instantly" transferred to my Rio (instead of taking a few seconds each). When the list showing what is on my Rio refreshes, they last 14 songs aren't there. I try again. Same thing. I reformat... My SMC shows 100MB free with ~30MB used! WTF! I reformat again, this time in Musicmatch jukebox. Same thing happens! What is wrong?
Old 01-08-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

cartman, rioport's software is notoriously bad. try downloading a program called riorio, read the instructions and reformat the card using the function on riorio
Old 01-08-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by chanster
cartman, rioport's software is notoriously bad. try downloading a program called riorio, read the instructions and reformat the card using the function on riorio
I get the same results using riorio . I read on the rioworld boards that sometimes when the rioport crashes, whatever is being transferred doesn't get an EOF marker, and as such, that memory is lost forever. Is this what has happened? If so, do I have any recourse with my SMC for returns since it wasn't a SMC defect, but a crappy software defect (got it at newegg.com)?