Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

New iMac!!! I could't believe it!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-08-02, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the opening presentation for the new apple products including the new iMac! I was astonished how small it was!
But the CPU speed is 800Mhz. I know you can't compare Mac and PC. But I am asking the Mac users to give me their opinion. How would it be "comparable" to a P4 or AMD processor knowing that the architecture is totally different?
Old 01-08-02, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=171995
Old 01-08-02, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

cute.

i would never buy a computer that was not upgradeable by me.

I am sure that among the target 5-8 % of the market apple holds this will sell well.
Old 01-08-02, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not planning on buying one any time soon, but I'm sure the new iMac is a fine machine. Apple's technical design and build quality rivals any of the top PC makers. In industrial design, they are unrivaled in the industry. Not everyone will like a design from them, but if you were trying to please everybody, you'd end up with, well... a beige box.

The fact is this computer will be perfectly satisfactory for 90% of typical home users. So if someone buys it because the design floats their boat, why would anyone bother second guessing them?

People who criticize it for not being expandable or upgradeable are missing the point entirely. It's like someone who always buys pickup trucks looking at a Miata and criticizing it for not having much cargo space.
Old 01-08-02, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by belboz
I'm not planning on buying one any time soon, but I'm sure the new iMac is a fine machine. Apple's technical design and build quality rivals any of the top PC makers. In industrial design, they are unrivaled in the industry. Not everyone will like a design from them, but if you were trying to please everybody, you'd end up with, well... a beige box.

The fact is this computer will be perfectly satisfactory for 90% of typical home users. So if someone buys it because the design floats their boat, why would anyone bother second guessing them?

People who criticize it for not being expandable or upgradeable are missing the point entirely. It's like someone who always buys pickup trucks looking at a Miata and criticizing it for not having much cargo space.
I think those like me who criticize the lack of abilty to expand it are expressing valid points.

However remember many of us here are people who build their own computers. I am not sure that this is the target demographic of Apple.

Of course i have slowly weaned all my family away from Apple due to this problem. every time they needed someone to look at their computer i told them i would when they bought one i was willing to work on.

of course now I need to upgrade the memory and video card on my dad's system so maybe they should have stayed with macs

Last edited by gcribbs; 01-08-02 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-08-02, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

gcribbs, reading your original post again, I'd like to say that I appreciate the way you stated your opinion. I've got no problem when people say, "I wouldn't buy a Mac because..." Everyone has their individual needs and preferences and if the Mac doesn't suit them, then that's fine.

What irks me is when people condemn Macs in general for not being upgradeable when they're clearly targeted at that large portion of the market that has no need and/or desire to crack the case on their computer.
Old 01-08-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Consumer level computers are generally designed to be not that upgradable. I doubt you could add much to one of those low level Dells or Gateways with the built in video.

My G4 tower has AGP, 4 PCI slots, and space for a zip drive and a second hard drive, as well as seperate mounting areas for SCSI drives.
Old 01-08-02, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Jason
Consumer level computers are generally designed to be not that upgradable. I doubt you could add much to one of those low level Dells or Gateways with the built in video.

My G4 tower has AGP, 4 PCI slots, and space for a zip drive and a second hard drive, as well as seperate mounting areas for SCSI drives.
That is why "computer enthousiasts" like me don't buy IBM, Dell, Compaq... They buy/build clones, something that is definately hurting Apple IMO (they should allow clones to get a bigger part of the market. People like me don't even consider having a non-clone computer)
Old 01-08-02, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by gcribbs
cute.

i would never buy a computer that was not upgradeable by me.

I am sure that among the target 5-8 % of the market apple holds this will sell well.
You are overestimating Apple!

Apple has only 3% of the worldwide market.
Old 01-08-02, 02:04 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Real Boba Fett
...something that is definately hurting Apple IMO (they should allow clones to get a bigger part of the market...
You mean a bigger part of the market than 0%? There were Apple clones a few years ago, but it didn't last.
Old 01-08-02, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It would be virtually impossible to upgrade the monitor (c'mon, 15" is wayyy too small), or even do your own harware repairs/diagnostics on this thing. For me, having been an admin for a mac network, that was the biggest let down about the old iMacs. You just can't open them up without calling support and paying someone to do it.
Old 01-08-02, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by belboz
gcribbs, reading your original post again, I'd like to say that I appreciate the way you stated your opinion. I've got no problem when people say, "I wouldn't buy a Mac because..." Everyone has their individual needs and preferences and if the Mac doesn't suit them, then that's fine.

What irks me is when people condemn Macs in general for not being upgradeable when they're clearly targeted at that large portion of the market that has no need and/or desire to crack the case on their computer.
that is why I have told people to buy Dells. for me that would not be the right decision however for them and their needs it was. For some I am sure the new Imac is a great computer.

I would not be interested in one however i do believe that it will sell well with the market they are going after. I do think that for most Mac users A G4 tower or more expandable computer is the best choice.

My only concern with the lack of ability to upgrade is that it could alienate a small segment of the Apple owners who buy one as their first computer then decide they need a bigger monitor or better video card and realize that it is close to impossible.

I have a good friend that uses Macs still for web design and graphics and it really is a great tool for him. he has many programs that he uses that really shine on the mac operating system. if I gave him a great home built Windows computer that would be great for me he would really not be able to do his work as effectively with it. many of his programs would not work(no windows versions) and the ones that would might even be slower due to the optimization that the programs have in the Mac versions.
Old 01-09-02, 02:19 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jason

I bought a dell Dimension 8100 and it was completly upgradable, I have since replaced the Hard drive added 512Mb memory, replaced the video and sound cards, added a NIC, and added a CD-RW, I still have 2 PCI slots left a front accessible drivebay left and 1 hd slot left. That is pretty upgradable to me, and I bought it for about the same money I would have payed for the components on my own with the ease of a Dell warranty. Plus I have built my own before and this case is by far the easiest I have ever worked in
Old 01-09-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Sn0

I bought a dell Dimension 8100 and it was completly upgradable, I have since replaced the Hard drive added 512Mb memory, replaced the video and sound cards, added a NIC, and added a CD-RW, I still have 2 PCI slots left a front accessible drivebay left and 1 hd slot left. That is pretty upgradable to me, and I bought it for about the same money I would have payed for the components on my own with the ease of a Dell warranty. Plus I have built my own before and this case is by far the easiest I have ever worked in
I can do all of those things to my G4, (added second hard drive and 1.5 GB RAM) and you haven't seen good case design until you opened one of these up. Pop the handle, and the whole side drops down exposing the mobo. I've never opened the case on any of our Dimension 8100s at work, but our old Dimension p200s was a real bear to open.

The biggest gripe in upgrading a mac is in the optical drives. For no really good reason, you can only have 1 full height drive in the machine. The lower slot only holds a zip drive.

I'll probably be adding a Raedon 8500 card when they come out next month.