Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

dvd dma error????

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

dvd dma error????

Old 01-07-02, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dvd dma error????

ive been having playback probs with my dvd player (pioneer 16x) for awile. i get jerky video all the time and i went on these forums to ask how to fix it and some of u said to enable DMA which is already on accourding to my device manager. In my power dvd folder it has a DMA enabler prog and with it i tryed to enable DMA and it said to restart my comp, i did this and i got an error... "ASPIx123124" error or somethin like that and then my comp freezes. I have no idea what the prob is, ive tryed many things to get my dvd playback to work and nothing has. Ive never had these playback problems untill recently and i would like this fixed asap cause i use this dvd to watch all my movies.

if any additional info is needed i will gladly give it to u.
Old 01-07-02, 11:22 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Perhaps you could tell us what your motherboard is and whether your DVD drive is a master or slave. I'd recommend master for a start. Then uninstall PowerDVD, reinstall, and check "enable DMA" when it first starts up.
Old 01-07-02, 11:29 PM

i have an asus a7m 266/550/wol/2dim mobo with a 1.4 ghz amd prossesor. a geforce 3 video card and 384 ddr ram, ive already uninstaled power dvd and reinstaled it, and i got the xp patch for my win xp, and my dvd is master driver.
Old 01-07-02, 11:37 PM
X
Administrator

I don't know that motherboard in particular, but it seems you have the rest in order. You didn't specifically install any Intel IDE drivers with your motherboard, did you? Asus provided a CD that you used for the drivers, right?

You have your DVD drive set as Auto in the BIOS? Your IDE configuration in the Device Manager says to use DMA if available?

Do you have a device as the slave to the DVD drive? If so, what is it? And have you tried disconnecting it?
Old 01-07-02, 11:44 PM

that mobo is the standard asus mobo. no i did not install any special drivers for the mobo(i have a AMD not INTEL), yes in device manager it says DMA if available. and i do have a cd burner connected to the drive but it has always been connected to it since day 1. this problem has only started recently and appeared out of nowhere (i changed nothing to the hardware of the comp) i have no idea what it could be.
Old 01-08-02, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

have you added or changed any software at all?

what version of the via 4 in 1 drivers are you using?
Old 01-08-02, 03:23 PM

im usin the newest geforce 3 drivers, and the only thing i have done in past months that had do do anything with video whatsoever was install a prog to allow me to watch divx movies on media player. oh and i didnt install the geforce 3 drivers untill after i started having this prob, i was usin the generic drivers that came with the card then upgraded due to the problem.
Old 01-08-02, 06:21 PM
X
Administrator

I have a computer dedicated to playing DVD and other multimedia. I back it up frequently and am extremely careful as to what drivers or software I install.

Now I'm not advocating that you go that far, but how about creating a new partition and install a fresh copy of your OS on it and only the files you'll need to watch DVD. Maybe add some other functionality, but only after you back it up. That way, when it goes bad, you can return to a state where it was working properly.
Old 01-09-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by robert pulson
im usin the newest geforce 3 drivers, and the only thing i have done in past months that had do do anything with video whatsoever was install a prog to allow me to watch divx movies on media player. oh and i didnt install the geforce 3 drivers untill after i started having this prob, i was usin the generic drivers that came with the card then upgraded due to the problem.
so after you installed this Divx program the performance on your dvd player went down?

than we may have a winner. have you tried uninstalling this program( although since most uninstaller programs leave so much it is very posible it will not correct the problem)