Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Questions about MS Office (for Educational use)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-07-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw that MS Office for Sudents and Teachers can be purchased at Costco for a discounted price than the standard/professional full version, but does anyone happen to know how one goes about using it?
For one, the package says that proof of Student status must be given, but I'm wondering if this means that I'm supposed to show proof to the store I buy it from, or do I somehow submit student records to Microsoft in order to obtain the license?
After obtaining a license to use the Student version, is it somehow only good for a school year? Does the software have an expiration date?
Finally, if I am to buy this Student version, and assuming that the license is good forever, is the version upgradable with future editions of MS Office?
Old 01-07-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you could do is go enroll at your local junior college (if you don't actually have a student ID) get your student ID, then quit, or find someone who is a student who doesn't want to purchase an edition of Office from Costco and use their student ID. I had to photocopy it and FAX it in (but that was an online store). At the school bookstore I could purchase discounted programs also with the student ID. You don't have to turn in your ID after you quit (but some of them have an expiration date on the ID) so you can keep using it if you want to buy other programs later. But, no, you don't have to tell MS anything to get the license No expiration date on the software...it's the full version. And yes it is upgradeable.