Reload this Page >

Is it worth getting more memory?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-06-02, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the road I use an old IBM 760XL Thinkpad. Bought about 1.5 years ago from my company when they were selling their old/surplus computers.

The laptop has a Pentium process 166mmx. And I'm running Win '98. They system info says I have currently have 32meg of memory. Looking inside the computer, I have a slot open for an additional memory card.

I have noticed on the web you can get a 64meg memory card for less then $50.00. Is it worth it? I know $50.00 ain't much for anything these days. However consider:

-90% of what I do is play on the net, chat with the family, shop on the net, etc.
-I do occasionally do some word documents or small xcel spreadsheets.
-I have just started messing w/some digital photos. Mainly just e-mailing them.
-I hope to buy the next generation (PII) computer from my company in the late summer or early fall this year.

Would the added memory help?

Thanks...
Old 01-06-02, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you running out of memory? Does the computer get sluggish? If so then get some more.
Old 01-06-02, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Like you said $50 isn't that much and if all you do in the basic online stuff and the occasional word processing (much like myself) you would notice a slight difference with another stick or RAM. I know I did on my getting to be antiquated laptop.
Old 01-06-02, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IIRC, 64 MB was the sweet spot for Win95 during the Pentium MMX days. If you can find a 32 MB module for $25 that would definitely be worth it. More than that for web surfing and e-mail won't see much benefit.
Old 01-07-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Is it worth getting more memory?

Originally posted by Sdallnct
The laptop has a Pentium process 166mmx. And I'm running Win '98. They system info says I have currently have 32meg of memory.
for win 98 I would say yes. it really is sluggish with anything under 64 MB. It is worth 50 bucks and i bet you do notice a difference.